Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 09:28 PM

Training saved Zane's life tonight!

Hi All,

I take my dogs training weekly and then work hard with them at home so they learn by positive reinforcement.

Anyway, tonight I had carol singers come to the door. I opened the front door just as my Son opened the living room door and out shot Zane, at a million miles an hour heading full pelt for the door. I wasn't quick enough to close it - probably just as well otherwise he'd have knocked himself out!

So, it's cold, wet and dark outside at the moment and having a GSD who is blakc on the top isn't a good idea when visibility isn't somewhere near 100% on a clear sunny day!

He decided very thoughfully scaring drivers half to death, that he was going to cross the road which he did do, thankfully without incident.

When I got outside (I have a stumpy leg and can't run) Zane was already back on my side of the road, looking at the traffic obviously pondering his next "dodge the cars" game.

Anyway, just as he started to run again towards the road I shouted for him to go down. And he did. He hit the floor like a lead balloon and made himself as flat as he could. I'm so pleased the basic training has paid off. I really believe that without this training, he would almost definitely have run into the road again and possibly been hit by a car.
I'm really proud of him!

Laura xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Don't you just love it when training kicks in....we're lucky though as ours don't run out, but there is always a first time isn't there.

We often go on long walks with ours and we often have roads to cross, I love it when ''wait'' means (to them) SIT and wait ...Bruce especially as he's only just 1. He has it down to a fine art now.....great

Well done to your dog and your training.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Oh my - that could have been tragic were it not for Zane's reponse to that command. Well done to the both of you
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh so glad he was ok, you mustv'e been screaming inside with worry...what a clever boy xx
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Hi,

Absolutely! It's rare for me to really panic over soemthing but last night, I was definitely worried. I didn't like the way he made himself so flat against the floor though. If I saw another dog do that I'd assume the dog was waiting t obe hit. I've never raised my hand to him and because he did as he was told, nothing bad happens. The important thing is that he lay down when told to do so.

Usually he gets 2 short walks, (one each end of the day) and 1-2 hours of off-lead play in the park, maybe with a littel bit of recall/retrieve work chucked in for good measure. Then he gets about an hour of playtime at home too. He's fantastic on a lead but has never been off lead until well into the park or somewhere away from the road, so he has no road sense, unless he's on a lead and I'm barking commands at him. Maybe that's the next thing to work on - the Green Cross Code!!

Laura xx
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Well done Thank god it worked, as he may not be here now.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Glad the training payed off and all is well xxxxxx
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2008, 04:52 PM
weldone laura .its deff worth takeing them training ,it dos pay off ,if you have more than one its even more important ,to at least learn them the basic ,so pleased for you both
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2008, 05:17 PM
That's an inspirational story! I'm going to work on that with Woodstock!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Well done!
Glad the story had a happy ending!
Clever boy!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >