Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 05:11 PM

need some advice...

I'm moving away to go to uni at the end of september Obviously Jobie won't be able to go with me.. Out of everyone in the family he is defaintely the most attatched to me. I'm torn between making the most of the rest of the time I'll have with him and then him noticing the difference more when I'm not there, and beginning to hand over my responsibilities to him and pay less attention to him so he'll hopefully grow more attatched to one of my parents... He sleeps in my room now too but my parents won't let him sleep in theirs and don't want him alone in my room (on the off chance that he should throw up on the carpet ) so I guess I'm gonna have to get him used to sleeping downstairs

Any tips or advice? I'm leaning towards getting more distant from him, because I think that would be the best thing for him in the long run, but I know he won't understand... I will still be coming home at weekends (at first anyway) but I don't know if this will just confuse him more...
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 05:16 PM
im staying at home for uni.... but if i were going away - id detatch myself like your doing now

dont feed him - get x parent to do it (and decide on a new main person in his life)

x person walks him the majority of the time etc....

id be tempted to let him sleep in your room and just put an old dustsheet on your carpet etc.... as its nearer you - although your detaching yourself - its still a sense of security and comfort.....
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Dogs do adapt - I went away to uni leaving my two dogs iwth the family - they missed me, but they got on with it and we just made sure we did fun things when we were together.
Is he super sensitive?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Personally I'd worry about detaching myself from the dog rather then the other way around. If you are going to be seeing him every weekend and will have a lot of holiday (less than 2 months until Christmas at the start of the academic term ), I would just enjoy the next 5-6 weeks or so. He might mope around at first but I'm sure he will adapt to his new routine.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 06:03 PM
I got Selkie while I was at Uni So never had the decision to make.. as an Art student I had flexibility to take her in to the studio with me and I made sure my student accommodation allowed pets... It all worked out for us..

But if I had had a family dog to leave behind.. I don't know.. I think I would have been selfish and taken the opportunity to have a fab last few weeks and allow parents to cope with the pining pup..

Dogs adapt quickly Bet he wont even miss you and you'll be gutted When I leave Selkie at my Mums if I go on holiday she is fast asleep before my car even leaves the driveway and is stealing biscuits by bed time! Dogs are fickle beasties
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Dogs do adapt - I went away to uni leaving my two dogs iwth the family - they missed me, but they got on with it and we just made sure we did fun things when we were together.
Is he super sensitive?
He is very sensitive. He follows me all over the house and whinges if I'm not there (I went out to the car the other day for, literally, about 30 seconds, and when I came back in he acted as if I'd been out all day )

That's a good idea about the dust sheet - Thanks Suze, think I'll suggest that

LOL magpye, thats so true!! i'll be gutted if he doesnt miss me, but i'd rather I was gutted than he was gutted, if that makes any sense at all