Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 12:34 PM

Toilet Training 3am seem to be stuck

So Kizzy is doing great with toilet training,however she has gone back to waking duringthe night and we seem stuck at 3am when she will wake us by crying to go out.
She always relieves herself and immediately settles back down and then sleeps through till 7am when we all get up.

She has gone all night however she seems to have slipped back into waking during the night again.

Not complaining because she has been really easy to toilet train but obviously can't hold herself yet which I wouldn't expect a 19 week old pup to do anyway.

Any tips on how to get her through to 7am when we all get up ?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Can you start working backwards like you would for a child? Eg. get up at 2am one night, then 1.30am etc. Sounds daft but it worked for us with Loki who was a wee wee monster
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Maybe she's going to be one of those 3am dogs Sal? We have two here, but thankfully, hubby does the night shift! One is old and one is just over a year, and it's always one of them that gets him up at that time of the morning! Mine go out last thing which is 9pm here though, quite early, and I have noticed, if I stay up later over the week-ends and let them out at 11pm they go right through?

I can't offer any advice, but 3 am seems to be the preferred hour for us here too!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-01-2010, 03:55 PM
There is no reason a 19 week old shouldn't go over night. Our 19 small puppies all were well before that, some as young as 8-9 weeks.

First a vet visit to rule out a UTI.

Then leave in in a crate with only enough room to stretch out and no food or water. This is common, well accepted practice. Unfortunately, it is not the way some here have been doing it since the 50's. There is no reasoning with their unfounded, emotional attacks on me and the practice.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Do you crate overnight Sal? We found this a Godsend with Zena, she always went right through the night from 10pm to 5.30 or even 6 am before she started crying, all the time she was crated overnight up to the age of about 5 months I think, plus of course, it's an added bonus for all that house training!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
There is no reason a 19 week old shouldn't go over night. Our 19 small puppies all were well before that, some as young as 8-9 weeks.

First a vet visit to rule out a UTI.

Then leave in in a crate with only enough room to stretch out and no food or water. This is common, well accepted practice. Unfortunately, it is not the way some here have been doing it since the 50's. There is no reasoning with their unfounded, emotional attacks on me and the practice.
Why would I want to take her to the vet to rule out an uti ?
She goes from 11pm till 3am and is not constantly going to the toilet during the day,she is showing no signs of a uti.

Leaving in a crate with only just enough room,and no water is not something I would do.
She is a puppy and I wouldn't expect her to have full control till she is around 6 months old.

Helena,yes we do crate and it has helped with toilet training,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
So Kizzy is doing great with toilet training,however she has gone back to waking duringthe night and we seem stuck at 3am when she will wake us by crying to go out.
She always relieves herself and immediately settles back down and then sleeps through till 7am when we all get up.

She has gone all night however she seems to have slipped back into waking during the night again.

Not complaining because she has been really easy to toilet train but obviously can't hold herself yet which I wouldn't expect a 19 week old pup to do anyway.

Any tips on how to get her through to 7am when we all get up ?
Hi Sal are you letting Kizzy out last thing at night to make sure she is empty before she is left or taking her out . It is best to take her a short walk preferably to an area used by other dog so their scent will stimulate her to eliminate. This will give you the opportunity to praise her her for 'going' and you will be sure she is empty .

Could some noise like heating coming on be waking her at this time.

Other things to consider are a urinary tract infection (which may mean a trip to the vet for a check , but there would normally be other symptoms) or perhaps she may be coming into season soon for the first time.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Sal are you letting Kizzy out last thing at night to make sure she is empty before she is left or taking her out . It is best to take her a short walk preferably to an area used by other dog so their scent will stimulate her to eliminate. This will give you the opportunity to praise her her for 'going' and you will be sure she is empty .

Could some noise like heating coming on be waking her at this time.

Other things to consider are a urinary tract infection (which may mean a trip to the vet for a check , but there would normally be other symptoms) or perhaps she may be coming into season soon for the first time.
Thanks Mini,
Yes we take her out at 11pm every night and she does empty herself.
We have been keeping the heating on low I never thought about that disturbing her as the boiler is noisy and in a cupboard directly above where she sleeps.

When I do take her out though at 3am she does empty herself again both no1 & 2 lol.

Her last meal is around 9pm maybe I should think about moving her meal times around and giving her last feed at around 7pm.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks Mini,
Yes we take her out at 11pm every night and she does empty herself.
We have been keeping the heating on low I never thought about that disturbing her as the boiler is noisy and in a cupboard directly above where she sleeps.

When I do take her out though at 3am she does empty herself again both no1 & 2 lol.

Her last meal is around 9pm maybe I should think about moving her meal times around and giving her last feed at around 7pm.
Hi Sal I guess Kizzy is still on three meals, when you drop to two at six months old this may help with spacing them out.

I would experiment with changing the feeding times if you can making the last meal about 7 and take her out as late as you can see if this helps.

Kizzy may have got in a routine now and it could take a little while to change it.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Why would I want to take her to the vet to rule out an uti ?
She goes from 11pm till 3am and is not constantly going to the toilet during the day,she is showing no signs of a uti.

Leaving in a crate with only just enough room,and no water is not something I would do.
She is a puppy and I wouldn't expect her to have full control till she is around 6 months old.

Helena,yes we do crate and it has helped with toilet training,
Done wrong, and it may take to 6 months.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >