Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2013, 03:33 PM

Teeth cleaning

Hello all,

Had to take Jake back to the vets today as he's got kennel cough again.

While I was there, the vet mentioned Jake's back teeth which have tartar on them and suggested I think about getting him booked in to get them cleaned under GA.

Now, my concern is that Jake has only just been under GA for an ear flush recently and he's 9. I really don't like the idea of him having another GA so soon.

I'm probably being silly, but is there anything I can do to improve his teeth myself or is the vet clean the only thing?

Jake eats Nature's Menu pouches for his evening meal, and chicken and rice (dodgy tum) for breakfast, if that helps.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Pysces View Post
Hello all,

Had to take Jake back to the vets today as he's got kennel cough again.

While I was there, the vet mentioned Jake's back teeth which have tartar on them and suggested I think about getting him booked in to get them cleaned under GA.

Now, my concern is that Jake has only just been under GA for an ear flush recently and he's 9. I really don't like the idea of him having another GA so soon.

I'm probably being silly, but is there anything I can do to improve his teeth myself or is the vet clean the only thing?

Jake eats Nature's Menu pouches for his evening meal, and chicken and rice (dodgy tum) for breakfast, if that helps.
Raw bones, these usually work , it will all depend on how bad his teeth are, but I would try before you go down the GA route.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Bones are good as are raw chicken wings and drumsticks, also raw carrots, and I found mine nicking some parsnips the other day as well
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2013, 04:59 PM
I'd be reluctant to put a 9yr old dog thro' another GA so quickly too.

Bella has one raw frozen chicken wing daily. Her teeth are superb. I didn't actually know about the 'benefit for teeth' from raw bones before joining this site. Used to think those rawhide chews and stuff were good for that.

I've learned so much here. And I am glad about the teeth thing coz I value my fingers and Bella is not compliant when having her teeth brushed! She will let me put my finger in her mouth and even massage her gums (and recently hook out a bit of rawhide she was choking on) but anything approaching 'brushing' even with a finger puppet type brush is a NO NO.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-06-2013, 05:02 PM
If all that you're giving is soft food then you need to be giving a decent bone or at least a chicken wing every day. Raw carrots are great, and I would imagine parsnips as well, seeing as mine foraged for them themselves.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Hi,
Please don't think I'm trying to put you off but my experience is this,
Lacey had two operations within a week, really had no choice, second one was an emergency to remove her eye. She is also 9. Second time after having GA,she took a good week before she really recovered. I know she was on meds as well, but still think it was too soon, but in my case as I said we had no choice.Maybe have a chat with the vet, tell him/her your concerns.Hope you get it sorted
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Hi,
Please don't think I'm trying to put you off but my experience is this,
Lacey had two operations within a week, really had no choice, second one was an emergency to remove her eye. She is also 9. Second time after having GA,she took a good week before she really recovered. I know she was on meds as well, but still think it was too soon, but in my case as I said we had no choice.Maybe have a chat with the vet, tell him/her your concerns.Hope you get it sorted
when you have no choice it's different. But if you do have the option of WAITING or even not having it done if it is not essential - I'd err on the side of caution.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
when you have no choice it's different. But if you do have the option of WAITING or even not having it done if it is not essential - I'd err on the side of caution.
Absolutely.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Stag bars are supposed to be really good too for cleaning teeth.

I would just say that if Jake is not used to bones and things then do be careful to supervise him.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Deer antlers and raw pumpkin also work great. I wouldn't put Jake under if it's only his back teeth that have build up. Are his gums red and inflamed along the teeth with tarter?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >