Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 04:47 PM

Unpleasant encounter at the park today

I took Dexter to the park nice and early today. As we walked past the park gates, I saw a woman and a very big white dog walking towards us.

The entrance to the park is a long, reasonably wide path and there is a sign stating that all dogs should be leashed until in the park 'proper'.

Dexter was leashed but the big white dog was not.

This dog literally took ONE look at Dexter and then suddenly bared its teeth, growled and lunged forward, hurtling towards us, barking like mad.

The owner started yelling the dog's name and recalling it - the dog totally ignored her.

I jumped in front of Dexter to try and intercept the white dog - the crafty bu**er swerved around me so he could get to Dex who was behind me.

I turned, prepared to kick the dog if necessary, and found the dogs standing staring at each other. I have no idea if this was a prelude to any form of attack by the other dog or in fact if he was friendly and just over excited.

His owner had now arrived and grabbed her dog, then hauled him back into the park, down the path. She called out 'sorry' and I simply raised an eyebrow as I was, I'll admit it, both shaken and angry.

She leashed her dog and then they headed out the park again so we had to pass each other. Again her dog kicks off and now fed up, I went "Ssssshhhh".

At which point the owner turned on me, unhappy that I had tried to quieten her dog!!!

I pointed out in no uncertain terms that it was mad for her to be more angry with me, than I had been with her, given how her dog had rushed us.

She scowled at me and flounced off muttering and swearing the whole time!

If I was in the wrong - please tell me!!

I've never seen that dog before and I really hope I never see it again...
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 05:41 PM
No I don't blame you for saying something. It is very stressful when this type of encounter happens.

Parker had a Springer spaniel run up to him yesterday showing its teeth and barking. It wouldn't go back to the owner but kept running back up to Parker barking at him. I said to the owner "Is it aggressive?" and he said "Oh it always acts like that with other dogs but if your dog has a go back it will back down"! I replied "My dog is sweet-tempered and won't have a go back. You should keep your dog on a lead if it behaves like this. it's not fair on nice tempered dogs" and I walked away. I shouted "NO" at it to get it to clear off.

Fortunately he did then put his dog on the lead as just around the corner we met a man with an adult Boxer and a tiny 12 week old Boxer and it wouldn't have been nice for the pup had the Springer behaved this way to it.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-07-2011, 05:45 PM
You are certainly not in the wrong your dog was on leash and undr control theirs was of leash and out of control.

If dogs are off leash and under control no problem either. Its when they are off leash and out of control thats the problem, when they clearly show signs of aggression.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Hope you and the lovely Dex are ok. Parks are a minefield arnt they. In the park today I saw a man with 5!! children on bicycles with a dog on a FLEXI!! lead running all over the show. Was chaos! I avoided like the plague!!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:37 PM
not it the wrong atall, i would have and have done it a few times