Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 12:58 PM

Bit Confused after My Hospital appointment this Morning

I have had my appointment with the rhuematologist this morning and was there 3hrs .
I am a bit mystified though as told him my back is giving me the worst pain and sometimes I cannot get up out of bed even though I only spend a max of 3-4hrs in bed at night with the pain. Told him I also got some hip pain which I felt come from my back and some upper arm pain.
He decided the other doctor in with him should inject the bony part of my left hip with steroid and also my left wrist and I should also be given a wrist support for my left wrist . They warned me both injections can lead to an infection in the injection site and I must warch for it and there is a risk the wrist one could cause damage to my tendons or ligaments or something and my wrist would be quite painful for the rest of today (its not at all) although it was bloody painful when they done it.
I can't work out why all this on my wrist though as I have never had a problem with my wrist .
He said he doesn't think I have arthiritis and won't need to see me again. He is going to tell my doctor to give me some other tablets to try and help me get some sleep, he then sent me for a lower back x-ray although he said even in big problems it rarely shows anything and I have had bloods taken.
Blood results will be with my doctor next week and x-ray results in about 10 days.
So really I am I feel no further forward as the blood tests my doctor has already done.
Would you believe it though my right hip has been playing me up since I left the hospital
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Oh hun

I'm so sorry you're having trouble. I've learned that if you're at all unsure about what your doctor is doing the best thing is to ask. I always make a point of saying 'I know you know what you're doing, but I don't know what or why you're doing and it'd be helpful for me to understand' so they don't get uppity!

I can't suggest anything but I really hope you get it sorted somehow
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I did ask him but he was so evasive and I said I didn't understand but he just turned to the nurse and told her to take me and get the wrist support and show me where to go for bloods and x-ray.
I asked the nurse and she didn't have a clue either.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 01:18 PM
You can ask for a second opinion hun. Maybe when you go to see your GP he/she will be able to enlighten you. Sorry your visit was so traumatic for you. Did you tell him you have no problems with your wrist? I cant understand why he chose to do what he did?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
You can ask for a second opinion hun. Maybe when you go to see your GP he/she will be able to enlighten you. Sorry your visit was so traumatic for you. Did you tell him you have no problems with your wrist? I cant understand why he chose to do what he did?
Yes I told him but he chose to ignore me
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I would ask for a second opinion then hun. asap
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 06:07 PM
thats just like when i went in for my knees, they was going to do a pain bloke in my back got my self all upset about it as ws going to be awake. Then it was another dr who saw me and said he was not happy to do that and wanted to inject my knees again with steroides even thou i had told him it did not work the last time it was done. He said he was going to fill 2 needs one would have a massive dose the other not alot i would not know which one he had done what with i would see him in 3mths and go from there. That was 7mths ago it made my knees 4times worse and i was not happy nore was my dr, i am still waiting for the acupunctor as well which was want to be 4 wks wait still waiting.

they inject straight into the area hun as it is a quicker way to get it in it can take upto 1 wk for the discomfot to go but if you still have that pain after that see your dr i would be seeing mine again soon as well as not happy. I really hope you are not in pain loong i now how it feels when they inject you like that. Big hugs from me hun i am here for you. I would go back and see yr gp and go and see someone else that really does not sound right. hugs hun xxxx
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I have had my appointment with the rhuematologist this morning and was there 3hrs .
I am a bit mystified though as told him my back is giving me the worst pain and sometimes I cannot get up out of bed even though I only spend a max of 3-4hrs in bed at night with the pain. Told him I also got some hip pain which I felt come from my back and some upper arm pain.
He decided the other doctor in with him should inject the bony part of my left hip with steroid and also my left wrist and I should also be given a wrist support for my left wrist . They warned me both injections can lead to an infection in the injection site and I must warch for it and there is a risk the wrist one could cause damage to my tendons or ligaments or something and my wrist would be quite painful for the rest of today (its not at all) although it was bloody painful when they done it.
I can't work out why all this on my wrist though as I have never had a problem with my wrist .
He said he doesn't think I have arthiritis and won't need to see me again. He is going to tell my doctor to give me some other tablets to try and help me get some sleep, he then sent me for a lower back x-ray although he said even in big problems it rarely shows anything and I have had bloods taken.
Blood results will be with my doctor next week and x-ray results in about 10 days.
So really I am I feel no further forward as the blood tests my doctor has already done.
Would you believe it though my right hip has been playing me up since I left the hospital

If you are unsure about anything why not make an appointment with your GP and see if he can explain it
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Poor you MM. It must be that type of day today. I went for the results of my MRI today and I don't feel I am any further forward.
I have to go for physio and use an exercise bike to build up the muscles in my leg.
But I came out feeling none the wiser nor any better off.