View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 04:07 PM

Yet another question - barking in parents house?

Sorry to post YET ANOTHER question!

As people probably know by now I have a nervous dog. Going to watch a class on Monday which should be good
Anyway she barks at strangers etc which has been MUCH better recently - she's been on a line incase she charges people, and gets recalled to my side when we pass people.

So - when she's with me in the OH's flat she's fine. It's double glazed and she's happy as larry - relaxed and quiet

When I visit my parents, it's not double glazed. Its set back from a fairly busy road and any noises that unnerve her cause her to grumble and growl.
If she gets really worried she just constantly barks.

My question - what do I do to stop this?
Long term - I am trying to make her more confident.
Short term - Do I treat for quiet moments or does this reward the bark? Always been a bit confused about that!
I also try to turn on music, tv etc so she can hear it less which normally calms her a bit or to distract her with play. But sometimes when she gets in to a panic she cant stop herself from worrying and barking.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 04:28 PM
ask her to do something different when she hears something outside that she wants to bark at

I ask Mia to go to her bed and Ben to sit with me on the sofa, then they get a nice reward
If you do it every time there is something she is going to want to bark at then over time she will start running and doing the thing you asked for rather than barking

and call her off before she gets into a barking frenzy
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks, I will be more persistant with that!
The main problem is when it's a noise I haven't heard, and then she gets worked up quite quickly so by the time I'm there and ready to do something she is already quite in to it...