Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-04-2005, 09:40 AM

Purebred????

I've heard many people say my dog is "purebred" and i just wanted to know what exactly that means, if you take it to mean what the word actullay means then there is no dog which is a pure breed as they have all been mixed at one stage or another thus making the only pure breed a wolf???
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Purebred, is a dog who is for examble pure labrador, no other breed in the history of that dog. Yeah true all dogs were mixed with other breeds hundreds of years ago, but in the present they are pure of the breed
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-04-2005, 09:44 AM
ok and the history how far back would we have to go? parents? gran parents? great gran parents???
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2005, 09:48 AM
In MOST breeds you can go back 100's of generations of pure bred dogs.
Your right the term purebred is a confusing one, im confusing myself lol

Dictionary Definition:

with ancestors of same breed: having ancestors that belong to the same breed or variety as a result of controlled breeding
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-04-2005, 09:55 AM
I thnik that if they are bred pure for seven generations, they are entiled to be called purebred.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Purebred means that there are no 'intruders' in the family tree. A pure-bred Boxer, for e.g., has pure-bred Boxers (confirmed by pedigree) as parents, grandparents, g-grandparents, g g-grandparents, g g g-grandparents, g g g g-grandparents, etc. etc. as far back as the first registered dog of that breed. I can trace my dogs back many, many, many, generations, as can most owners of pure-bred dogs.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-04-2005, 03:13 PM
I'd say that "Purebred" meant that all the characteristics of the breed appear in the present version, with no signs of anything else; e.g. a purebred Wooflehound today would look the same as a Wooflehound of (say) 1800, with no bits of (eg) Biscuitmunchkin showing up "lol"

My two BCs are purebred (no signs of "intruder" and breeding true every time) but have no pedigrees. They are, however, unmistakably BCs. A pedigree would, of course, prove it beyond any possible doubt, but I don't think that anyone could have any misgivings, nonetheless.

Ha ha, but I might claim, lightheartedly, that my BCs are more "authentic", as they were "created" (not exactly "bred", as that implies a deliberate decision ) in the same way as BCs were "created" for generations before they were benched (1976)

Snorri
(a firm believer that a Border Collie is a superior dog!)
Kendo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-04-2005, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=Snorri the Priest]I'd say that "Purebred" meant that all the characteristics of the breed appear in the present version, with no signs of anything else; e.g. a purebred Wooflehound today would look the same as a Wooflehound of (say) 1800, with no bits of (eg) Biscuitmunchkin showing up "lol
QUOTE]
Ok I dont know about wolfhounds of today looking & being able to do what the wolfhounds did pre show times, but there are plenty of breeds in the todays world that barely resemble let alone able do to what they where bred for
but to get back to the purebred??? well I think a dog that has a true 5 gen ped is a purebred
pete
Almost a Veteran

17-04-2005, 05:23 PM
i would disagree i think any mixed blood anywere in a dogs pedigree be it 7,8 or 9 generations ago is not purebreed.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 07:23 AM
But pete every breed in the world had mixed blood at one stage, it is how breeds were created, how far back would you go before saying its purebred?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >