View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
redradedrinker2
New Member!
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:06 PM

I love my new puppy!! (natural wormers please )

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][/COLOR]HI,,, fresh to this site, because I am looking up natural remedies for deworming a 6 week old puppy. I could take him to the vet, but would like to try maybe garlic or tumeric. I've heard garlic will strengthen my little guys immune system as well as kill parisites, so any suggestions? Has anyone used natural remedies to deworm their pup?
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Personally, i wouldn't use "natural" remedies about as something as important as worming a puppy. Whilst other supplements such as garlic are not a bad thing long term, worming a puppy properly can quite literally save its life.
A 6 week old pup should be wormed every 2 weeks up until 12 weeks and then every month until 6 months.
I'm not sure about how licensing of wormers and other medicines work in the US but here in the UK there are several puppy specific wormers on the market that can easily be bought online or from your local pet store.
However, if you haven't had one, a vet check up on your pup isn't a bad idea anyway and you could also discuss a vaccination plan.
Hope that helps!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Iv started using diatomaceaous earth for my dogs
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Dobionekenobi View Post
Personally, i wouldn't use "natural" remedies about as something as important as worming a puppy. Whilst other supplements such as garlic are not a bad thing long term, worming a puppy properly can quite literally save its life.
A 6 week old pup should be wormed every 2 weeks up until 12 weeks and then every month until 6 months.
I'm not sure about how licensing of wormers and other medicines work in the US but here in the UK there are several puppy specific wormers on the market that can easily be bought online or from your local pet store.
However, if you haven't had one, a vet check up on your pup isn't a bad idea anyway and you could also discuss a vaccination plan.
Hope that helps!
Totally agree with all of this. This tender age, is probably the only time in their lives when they could be carrying a burden which could eventually kill your puppy, so imo, it's paramount you use the correct wormer administered by your vet to give him the very best start in life. Once he's older, yes, by all means you can try that holistic approach.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by redradedrinker2 View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][/COLOR]HI,,, fresh to this site, because I am looking up natural remedies for deworming a 6 week old puppy. I could take him to the vet, but would like to try maybe garlic or tumeric. I've heard garlic will strengthen my little guys immune system as well as kill parisites, so any suggestions? Has anyone used natural remedies to deworm their pup?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not consider using natural remedies to worm a pup, especially such a young one. Follow the advice of your vet, or for a cheaper option consult the staff in Pet City, Pets at Home or a local pet shop that stocks "prescription" wormers such as Drontal or Panacur and buy the appropriate product. You don't need a prescription from a vet any longer for wormers, but the pet store will keep these locked up in a cabinet, you cannot just pluck them off the shelf.

As someone who very nearly lost their puppy to a severe worm burden when he was about 12 weeks old - the breeder had wormed him with natural remedies - I am speaking from experience. We very nearly lost Hal, he was so ill.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 02:28 PM
O sorry, I missed the fact that the OP was in the States. It might be over there that you need to go to a vet to get proper treatment, whichever way please don't go down the natural route for something as important as worming!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by redradedrinker2 View Post
To begin with pups should rarely leave their dams prior to 7 weeks at the earliest.

If you have a puppy at this age the first thing to determine is whether or not the pup has been wormed by the breeder?

Garlic should not be used in a puppy under 8 weeks old as it is a blood thinner, there are natural wormers available but I would consult a herbal/holistic/homeopathic vet for professional advice as it may vary depending on the dog and area in which you live.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
I used it too - I am sad to say for me it made their coats lovely and shiny but did nothing for worms
Thankfully I only had the one worm infestation, a couple of rounds of wormer and they are clear again - and I dont regularly worm them

BUT with such a tiny pup I would worm properly
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Whatever you use or do not use, the only way you will KNOW if it is working is to have a worm count done.