Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 11:58 AM

Beau Again Now - Showing Injury!!

Good Lord, this is just a nightmare at the moment

Beau's face is fine, vet checked him a couple of days ago, is letting him have one more week of antibiotics then he's (hopefully) all done But we had another problem checked while he was there

At his show at the weekend the judge, when looking at his tail instead of just pulling it straight out, pulled it right up into the air Like, standing straight up! Which its not meant to do. Beau subsequently sat his bum on the groun looking rather horrified and then moved with his backend very hunched and with his tail clamped between his legs.

After the class we had a look and his tail and bum was very sore and he didnt wag it at all which isn't like him

So, brought him home, got him to the vet monday and thankfully it isn't broken, but vet said it has definately been "tweaked" and he's either just bruised, or possibly sprained it. He's wagging it a bit now, and is not walking hunched over. But he's still not too happy having the top of it touched but the vet thinks he will be fine in a few days..

But what a stupid injury!! If the judge had just been more careful (God knows why he felt the need to yank his tail into the air!!) it wouldnt have happened... Poor Beau's having a rough time
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Really think you should inform the judge that their handling of your exhibit has caused you to seek veterinary treatment and would he please remember in future that the tail should only be raised parallel to the spine, the Lab is not a spitz nor a terrier and should not be treated thus.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 12:57 PM
That's awful - I think you should speak to the judge too. Judges injuring dogs is just not acceptable, poor wee soul.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 01:19 PM
How awful poor Beau, what a stupid Judge you need to say something
Glad his face is getting better now, Dori's cleared up just before she finished her Abs, you can still see where is was a bit but her hair is growing back.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Wally of a judge if you ask me!! Id of said something!! Hope he gets better soon.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Some judges do seem to get bees in their bonnets, remember watching a hound judge pushing really hard on the croup of pups and junior dogs, the smaller hounds could cope but some of the scent hounds could not handle it and were quite unnerved.

One of the tests that judges take is supposed to check that the handling of the exhibits is gentle and correct, seems that this judge, and others, have either not taken the test or have been giving CCs so long they have not been tested.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the replies.

In all fairness, i dont think he meant to do it, he had done similar to all the other dogs (lifting the tail slightly above level) but labs as a breed tend to be very bouncy to go over and the majority were wiggling around as he was doing it so with his very quick pulling out of the tail he didnt seem to yank it so high. Beau stands perfectly still to be gone over, and was in a fairly high class so the judge wouldnt have been as careful as with a puppy i guess, but he just didnt let go of his tail when he stood back up from leaning over. He didnt apologise though, or look at all concerned which was a bit annoying.

We didnt say anything to the judge just cos we wanted to get Beau home. and is there really any point?? He'd probably deny it or something and it would achieve nothing. Maybe he will be reading this though
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Oh god poor beau have been reading back he has been through the mill hasn't he. That was silly of the Judge if you ask me though. I just hope it doesn't have any ill effects for future shows. Big hugs to poor beau xx
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 03:41 PM
He is having a rough time at the moment definately, bless him! But he's not a stress-ey kind of dog so im sure he'll be fine when he's less sore!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Poor Beau, I hope his tail feels better soon. Really, that judge should have known better.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >