Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Chappie Dry? GSD problem...

Hey

Does anyone know if Chappie exists in a dry complete form? I've seen the tins... but thats not what im looking for.

The rescue have told us they fed our lady on chappie dry, but I havent ever seen it, and nobody else has either. *confused* !!

Im not entirely convinced that what theyve been feeding her is suitable anyway, because I'm tired of clearing up the foul smelling slop she leaves behind

I think we're going to have to change her to something else. Does anyone have any suggestions? It needs to be something thats readily available... because I'm not too strong on the transport front at the mo. I'm "umm'ing and arr'ing" over all the main brands because of the additive issues etc. :l
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Yes you do gey Chappie dry! It is an ok food, a lot of vets reccommend it for sensitive tums.
But there are better out there. Depends on your budget
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 04:50 PM
GSDs do tend to have sensitive tums. I now always feed mine on additive-free, colouring free food that is as wholesome as I can get - Burns is excellent but mine lost weight on it, so now they have Arden Grange. Daisy has Arden grange Premium as she`s very active and the fatboys have Arden Grange Lite. Plus raw chicken wings. Do you know if toyr dog is sensitive to any foods (I have one who reacts badly to Lamb for example)?
I hope you find a food that suits your dog better.
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2009, 04:57 PM
we've only had her a couple of days as shes a rescue, but we've been told she suffers a dickie tummy and thats why theyve been feeding her chappie dry. we looked everywhere to find it, and we just cant get hold of it!

(although tbh... she was 'squitting' when we got her, so my faith in chappie dry is pretty much non existant)

This arden one sounds interesting but I havent heard of it... I'll look it up cheers
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Why don't you opt for a specific food for digestive problems, such as the Royal Canin dry kibble? You can buy this over the internet from either Hyperdrug or Bestpet Pharmacy and they deliver it to your door next day? Gsd's are renown for their sensitive tums, and although my vet has recommended Chappie for my current dog, I did feed my other one on the Digestive Low Fat and the Sensitivity Control one, and both worked perfectly, by that I mean, instant hard solid poo for the first time in months! Vets recommend Chappie I think because it's basically just fish &cereals or chicken/rice/cereals and nothing much to upset them in it, but not a lot of goodness either I don't think! The Burns was also good, but I found it went off in the summer months (there are no preservatives in it), and BOTH my dogs told me that coz they wouldn't touch it!! I hope you find something, but those Royal Canin's are very good foods I would vouch for them completely.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 05:58 PM
She may have had a dodgy tummy cos she was stressed from moving house...may have nothing to do with the food!!
Most dogs will have slightlyrunny to diorrea when they are stressed.
But the other peeps have suggested good food to try!!!
SKing87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Cheers everyone
I did suspect chappie might not be great in quality, but who am I to question the many people who swear by it!
I guess I've just got to try something and see if it works, I think I'm gonna try the Arden but if not I'll switch to RC... I used to feed my old dogs on RC and they did great on it

Didn't show much mercy on my bank balance though
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 07:47 PM
hi, my gsd who has inflammatory bowel disease is fed chappie-you can get it from pets at home. but he is only on it as no other food, including prescription diets would work for him but he does better on chappie than any other food he has ever tried, but to be honest its not the best food and if you can feed another brand and that works for the dog then i would feed one of the others mentioned on here, im just changing my dogs onto a barf diet now.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Arden Grange will send you free samples if you email them. I get mine delivered by Berriewoods as no-one round here stocks it. Hope your girl likes it.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Chappie Complete
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >