Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 09:45 PM

Metal vs Fabric Crates...you views...

Hi all,

As I'm hoping my chance to own a dog is finally on the horizon, I'm starting to seriously consider what I'll need to buy. I've thought about the basics and what lead/collar I want, etc, and I also want to crate train my puppy, but when I go to my families house, etc, I'm going to want to take something easily transportable as the crate. I've been looking into crates like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOG-PET-CANINE...3286.m63.l1177 for car/camping and visiting people, does anyone have any experience with these crates, how durable they are, are they escape/chew proof? Do they wear well over time?

I've also been thinking about metal crates, would they be easier to transport that perhaps I'm thinking? I also know of them being escaped from and the dog/crate being damaged in the process, so they're not infallible. Plus they're heavy and cumbersome...having said that, I'll probably use them for in the house...

Please let me know your experiences of both and travelling especially, I want to be as social with my dog/s as possible!!!

Melanie
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 11:27 PM
I have both
a lightweight fabricky type for going away - and hopefully for shade in the summer as it can be staked to the ground
and a metal crate for home and I worry how long the mesh would last being scratched - but they do seem pretty good

metal crate really depends on the size of the dog, the little one is light enough but the large one, although it folds down v flat is fairly cumbersome and heavy. also I find the clip thing that holds it together when it is folded a bit to tricky to put it up and down all the time
heres Mia in both of hers - she loves them and uses them as safe places for the fireworks
they are huge cos she is toilet trained its just to keep her and Ben seperate when I am out

Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2009, 11:44 PM
thanks, thats very helpful! you've pretty much confirmed what i thought, i'm looking to house an airedale size, do you think the fabric one would withold one of those in it?
your girl certainly looks comfortable in it!!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 12:55 AM
If it's for a puppy I'd go for a metal crate to start with. I took Isla away in the caravan at 16 weeks old and she managed to chew straight through the awning, so you can imagine what damage could be done to a fabric crate!

Fabric crates are great, Isla uses one for outdoor Open Shows as a place of sanctuary, but they are really only any good for dogs already used to being in a crate and therefore know how to behave in one if you know what I mean.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 10:19 AM
thanks for that! i will use metal and then once used to crating try the fabric ones supervised
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Same advice really... Metal to begin then fabric is great for cosy place and visiting crate... Kismet has hers in the conservatory now for when she's left at home all full of blankets and with a big fleece draped over it in case she needs a cosy place to stay warm (Because for some reason I can't just believe that huskys are fine tucked up in the snow, not my baby) but now it's just a bed, she has chewed all the zips off, so if we're going camping again in the summer I'll have to get her a new one
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2009, 01:13 AM

The lovely Sapphire was happy enough in a metal crate but we put her in a lovely comfortable canvas one at a show and she HATED it. It took about 30 seconds for her to rip it apart and escape.

So we prefer metal crates as they offer more protection in the car, they cant be destroyed by doggy teeth or claws and are more durable. The only problem is that they are heavier to cart around.

Canvas crates are also harder to fold down.

Thalice and Sapphire's mum

leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 06:37 PM
I have tried both but would never trust a fabric one in an open place,

I put a welsh terrier in one in a room and walked out by time I got to the other room she was behind me.

I have seen lots of people use them successfully but you won't know until you have already bought it.

Metal ones are more secure just make sure you get a good one. I also clip a dog lead on the latch.