View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janettelabella
New Member!
Female 

10-01-2009, 08:32 AM

split claw - can we still go on run - shd I see vet?

I just noticed my puppy (9 months) has split his claw (declaw, I think they call it - the one that's further up).
He is running fine, but when I saw it, he wouldn't let me touch it. We are supposed to be going for a run in the desert tomorrow with a group of people (1-2 miles) and was really looking forward to it - do you think we can still go, or do I have to go and see a vet first - either way, should I see a vet about this - seems like it bled a bit. Janette (PS the run is at 9am CA time - that's 8 hrs behind England).
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Good Morning again.

Our young Border Collie did this a few weeks back, I did take him to the vets the next day, but before that I cleaned it with diluted salt water, put on some savlon and dressed it with some lint padding and a bandage and took him to the vets first thing the next day
However to answer your question, if it was me I'd probably not take him, as there is a chance of him catching it again, plus you have to watch that if its sand or dirt he'll be running on that doesn't cause any irritation. Obviously I can not see it, but as he won't let you touch it, I would imagin it is sore...abit like you ripping a finger nail.
janettelabella
New Member!
Female 

10-01-2009, 09:06 AM
thanks so much, Stevie. I really appreciate your quick response.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Hi Jeanette your puppy could rip the claw even more on a long run resulting in damage to the bed of the dew claw, it would then require a small operation to remove it altogether. I would not take your puppy for a long run without consulting a vet first to have the damaged claw assessed and treated (particularly a run on sand which the feet can sink into) .