Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missfit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2009, 03:45 PM

My rescue Dogs Owner found

omg, so, today I took my rescue Dog to the Groomers & walking home there was a Woman with a car boot open, my Dog started to pull towards her, I thought it was because it was a car (She likes Cars) but the Woman gave me a strange look & then spoke to another Woman in the car who had the Sister of mine!

How weird is that!? She definitely must've been telling the truth cause she told me the real DOB of mine which was 1yr out from the rescues guess & she called her by her old name & mine obviously knew her, she also knew things about her.

She said her Sister didn't want the Dog & wouldn't cause problems & of course she doesn't know where I live or anything or my name but the Dog wasn't even from my village!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 04:55 PM
You are lucky. My first dog was a welsh springer spaniel I called Tyler. I rescued him from an advert in the Vets surgery I volunteered in, 6 months after I had him a man pulled up in a red van. He said this was his dog 'Taffy', the dog clearly recognised him, there was no doubting that this was the truth, he said he drove round the streets every night looking for him. I said he had been signed to me now, but he wouldn't hear any of it. I turned to take him home, but the man grabbed him, took his collar off and bundled him into his van and drove away, I tried to stop him, but he pushed me away. leaving me with his collar and lead and an empty bed at home. I was as you can imagine inconsolable. I called the police, but they never found him and I never saw Tyler again.

I do not have even a single photo of him.

I miss him every day, but if he had not come into my life and prove that there was a dog shaped space in it that I could fill and if he was not then taken away, I would never have found Selkie.
Missfit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Aww that's so sad, I know they said in my case that they don't want her but i'm hoping they were serious, tho legally I don't think they can have her. It's so sad to hear about your Dog
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I was just thinking 'lucky that they don't want her back' and then read Magpye's story

Must admit, this is something I thought of almost every day I had Kip, my first rescue - he was found as a stray and was such a lovely dog that I could not believe no-one was looking for him.

With him I decided that if an owner ever turned up, if Kip was happy to see them and wanted to go, I would reluctantly let him. With Hoki & Stumpy I knew they were both abused so there is no way I would've willingly parted with them (though never thought of someone literally stealing them back as with Magye's case).
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 05:39 PM
If he hadn't been so odd and so gruff I would have worked with him to take Tyler to their house and see if it was in his best interests to go home with them, but he never gave me the chance He just insisted that he was taking the dog with him.

I still panic if someone pulls up even to ask directions when I have the dogs with me. He didn't know for sure that was his dog, it may not have been, just another very friendly springer. He may have just stolen my dog... I could never know...
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Oh Magpye that is so awful what happened to you.

Like you say you may have listened to his side and possibly sorted something out, but for your dog to be snatched like that must be heartbreaking. So sorry for you.
And the fact there was no one to help and the police dont care makes it worse.

Missfit....were they friendly to you? Couldnt work out if they were pleased to see the dog or just surprised?
Missfit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Oh Magpye that is so awful what happened to you.

Like you say you may have listened to his side and possibly sorted something out, but for your dog to be snatched like that must be heartbreaking. So sorry for you.
And the fact there was no one to help and the police dont care makes it worse.

Missfit....were they friendly to you? Couldnt work out if they were pleased to see the dog or just surprised?

They were fine yeah, very friendly, said they'd tell her old Owner she's well cared for & that she'd put weight on & looks good & that she wouldn't want her & not to worry (Have told rescue & groomer just in case they ask things). We were all shocked I think! They gave her lots of fuss & she quite obviously knew them & wasn't scared of them or abused by them.

Such a shame the old Owner let her roam 'all the time' unspayed etc how she didn't have Pups idk. Shame she didn't hand her to Rescue, or even these people I met today could've helped her to rehome her. Letting her stray & then doing nothing to find her!

I forgot to ask her medical history but did ask if she'd had Pups & she hasn't, she's born 31st October 2003 & is a full Staff, parents had no papers etc you know the thing, so she's not to standard but that explains why she's the spit of one just has a long nose & diff ears etc.

She was called Tiger & obviously knew her name, weird I called her Chaya, sound so alike!
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 06:16 PM
its such a shock when this happens ,you really never know ,taking on rescue if there previous owner will turn up ,i would be heart broken ,if it happened to me with willow ,as im certain ,she wasnt treated right ,as there are certain things ,that really upset this lovely girl .she has flurished since she has lived with us ,she was so thin and fur was so thin ,she is now a little beauty .magpye the only thing ,i will say ,is if he was so adament .he must have loved the dog .not nice for you very sad on your part the other dog missfit ,it dos sound like you love her more then the other owners ,even if they did treat her well ,she did get lost and the other things you mentioned still a shock
Missfit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah i'm hoping they don't try to get her back through the rescue but even if they do, the rescue said in her case she wouldn't be handed back (And while in some situations i'd hand her back, i'd do what's best for Chaya) and the old Owner didn't spay or chip her & either fed her the wrong food or underfed as she was so thin (The women today said she was when with their Sister also).

And to let her stray repeatedly & then not to try to locate her! Not even a collar. No, if they try i'm sure both I & the rescue will say no. Plus she did her 7 days & 4/6 weeks on top of that so they had time. The rescue is about 12 miles from where I live & i'm sure if they'd called the RSPCA, the well known one here, they'd have suggested the one I got her from

I don't *think* they'll try, but ya never know when they tell their Sister/Dog's old Owner how she'll react.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Sounds like she is far better off with you
AFAIK if a dog is found as a stray and rehomed from a rescue then the old owner has no comback
if you just find a dog on the street and keep it for yourself then the old owner has the right to claim it

I do think about that all the time with Mia, but, although I dont think she was badly treated, mibby a bit hard handed, she had not been trained in any way at all - didnt even know sit, demanded attention whenever she wanted it and had no manners at all, and looks like she was v badly socilised
so even though I am sure she would love to see her old owner again (and lets face it dogs love even people who missues them) I wouldnt let her go back to him as she is so smart that she deserves a lot better than that - and she would prob grow up to be an agressive bored dog
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >