Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PawsForever
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2008, 07:26 PM

Puppy Scratching Collar

Since I have put a collar on Jessie she keeps scratching at it and when I put the lead on her and we're outside she scratches it. Is this normal as I am worried she is going to ware away her fur?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi Vicky is it the first time Jessie has worn a collar,
puppies usually scratch a collar when they first have one on. Make sure it is not too tight, can you slip three fingers underneath it ?
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 11:37 PM
lol no it is totally normal! if someone put something weird on your neck you would try & get it off to wouldnt you?!

try and distractr her with toys/ treats and shell forget about it in days!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Try only having it on her when something good is happening, like a meal, initially. When you are out with her and she stops to scratch, distract her with a toy, treat, tickle or your voice. It will stop in the end. Just do be aware that scratching can also be a sign of stress, so if she is doing it when out and about, just check she isn't getting worried about it!
It is perfectly normal behaviour.
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2008, 08:14 AM
When I first put a collar on Baja my whippet he did the same thing. He was so bad it looked like he had a major flea infestation I started off with only leaving it on for a while and gradually increased the length of time he wore it. It was rather funny to watch him, bless. He would be having a wee and then remember the collar was there and try to scratch - poor little babe.