Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 05:26 PM

skinners ruff & ready

I'm not a fan of commerical foods, but we can no longer afford to keep feeding Jobie better than ourselves so he will shortly be making the transition back to dry
We had a look in p@h yesterday, and the only thing I could see that I wouldn't run a mile from (because of price or otherwise! ) was Skinners Ruff & Ready. I haven't tried him on it yet but I think he'll like it, will have to wet it down though. Has anyone had any luck feeding this?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 05:30 PM
I personally find feeding raw food cheaper than feeding commercial food. But if I was feeding dry I would prob go for Burns. They will deliver it to your door for free too.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I haven't tried ruff & ready, but I have tried others Skinners food.

Tried the Dog Meal - it's supposed to be good for mild digestion disorders and Stumpy's tummy did seem to be good with it - it just seems to have had a bit of a disasterous affect on her coat (but I'm sure that's just her as Hoki had it too some of the time and was fine).

She's currently on their Field & Trial Salmon & Rice Hypoallergenic and doing much better.

If you email them, they'll send you a free sample of 2 or 3 of their products. Website is: http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/index.html
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I didn't know P@H now stocked Skinners. I think that Skinners are among the best foods out there, and they are very reasonably priced. Ingredient wise, the hypoallergenic versions are on a par with the much more expensive makes eg Arden Grange, JWB and Burns. If you go for the Field and Trial range that Skinners do, that is VAT free as it is a working dog food. I would recommend trying to get a hold of the Field and Trial Duck and Rice, or Salmon and Rice, but you can do a lot lot worse than the Ruff and Ready!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I personally find feeding raw food cheaper than feeding commercial food. But if I was feeding dry I would prob go for Burns. They will deliver it to your door for free too.
We used to feed him Burns but he didn't do well on it, he dropped loads of weight and was quite sluggish (well, more than usual! ). If it were up to me I'd feed him on prey model, but we don't have the freezer space unfortunately

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I haven't tried ruff & ready, but I have tried others Skinners food.

Tried the Dog Meal - it's supposed to be good for mild digestion disorders and Stumpy's tummy did seem to be good with it - it just seems to have had a bit of a disasterous affect on her coat (but I'm sure that's just her as Hoki had it too some of the time and was fine).

She's currently on their Field & Trial Salmon & Rice Hypoallergenic and doing much better.

If you email them, they'll send you a free sample of 2 or 3 of their products. Website is: http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/index.html
Thanks Hali, I wish I had thought to email them before we forked out £22 on a bag lol he has always been a bit scurfy, if this doesn't sort it out I'll have a try with the salmon and rice.

Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
I didn't know P@H now stocked Skinners. I think that Skinners are among the best foods out there, and they are very reasonably priced. Ingredient wise, the hypoallergenic versions are on a par with the much more expensive makes eg Arden Grange, JWB and Burns. If you go for the Field and Trial range that Skinners do, that is VAT free as it is a working dog food. I would recommend trying to get a hold of the Field and Trial Duck and Rice, or Salmon and Rice, but you can do a lot lot worse than the Ruff and Ready!
Yeah I was quite suprised that they had Skinners, I hadn't seen it in there before. I'll see how he goes on this bag and then try to find the field and trial one, I think. thanks
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 08:00 PM
We have Katie on the muesli field and trial, only £12 for it at our local pet shop and she does really well on it and loves it.
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I had a great dane on it a few years ago and he did really well on it. He had a bit of a dodgy tum but the Ruff and Ready seemed to really suit him.

I've used it a few times recently when my dogs have turned their noses up at their regular food and they all love it. I was only thinking the other week that as they love it so much I may go onto it permanently
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 08:21 PM
I worked out the other day that it only costs me £7.74 a week to feed all three of mine on human grade (Value) meat alone.

If I mix that with veg/rice/pasta, it's even cheaper.

I thought that was pretty incredible..... or have I just got used to paying that much.....
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Skinners field and trial is good but also how about CSJ - they will send you samples - are also cheap and have variety also.
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:54 PM
I feed our BC's on Country Valu Greyhound - its made my Burgess and we get it for £8/98 a 15kg sack from our local animal feeds shop. Its 19% protein and made for Greyhounds. We do feed raw chicken wings in the morning and then the dry for tea- I get the chicken wings from Asda for £1.50 for 10 so it works out quite cheap indeed - all our three thrive on this feeding combination. Plus the chicken wings are great for their teeth. My 12 year old was at the vets for her check up and the vet for astounded at her clean and in good order her teeth were.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >