Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Runstock
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-04-2005, 06:34 PM

Joggers responsibilities

I love unfit joggers, you can hear them coming for miles Its those fit bleeders who ghost up on you from behind and scare the living bejesus out of you I hate.

For the huffers and puffers I always call my dogs to me and make them sit. For the stealthy ones...once my palpatations have ceased, I've stopped spinning and my two feet are back on the ground I shout for the mutts to stay, usually to late, as they've ran passed by then.

What responsibilities do you think these joggers have to dog walkers. Tad niave I think to run past dogs especially ones you do not know.

I am not advocating cow bells in proportion to fitness levels but is there or should there be a Joggers Etiquette (sp)
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-04-2005, 06:38 PM
lol good point. Theres not many people brave enough to run up behind us when were out
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Funny that - all the joggers who go past Ozzy and I seem to wheeze and cough, then again I don't think it is the fact that they are lacking fitness but more to do with making themselves known to me so I can reel him in!!

Seriously though, I wouldn't jog passed anyone with dogs without making myself known. At the end of the day the animal could be startled and react defensively. How is a dog supposed to determine the difference between a jogger and someone running up to attack you?
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Here...people that understand bike trail etiquette will tell you 'on your left' or 'on your right' as they're coming up behind you. The joggers, rollerbladers and bikers. It's really helpful but a lot of people don't get the etiquette.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Scrumpy when he was very young was scared when a jogger ran up behind us, ever since he gets really uneasy with people coming up from behind, not aggressive, just not happy!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-04-2005, 08:50 PM
When i used to work as a roofer and had to walk Abe at 4.30am,we used to see an elderly chap jogging towards us in the darkness,complete with clothing flapping in wind-this always made his hackles go up!

Funnily enough,this morning (at a more reasonable 6.30am) a tall bloke came jogging from behind us making some pretty bizzare noises-which again made Abe's hackles go up.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

21-04-2005, 06:54 AM
this is a pet hate of mine - joggers that come from nowhere and run past you with no warning - the same with cyclists - all I ask is if they would slow down and allow me the chance to get the dogs in a down to let them pass without any upset - unlikely to happen where I am
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2005, 07:03 AM
The thing with joggers is that they run up behind you with no warning, dressed in some very strange outfits sometimes making strange noises and then they have the nerve to give you dirty looks and make comments if your dog(s) react. I have had collies that love to try and chase anthing that moves at least with warning you can prepare yourself and gain control of the situation.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-04-2005, 08:00 AM
In their defence, they probably go for the stealthy optoin as announcing you r arrival results in much dancing about while everyone decides which side to pass on. Not a good tactic where dogs are involved though eh?
michelled
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2005, 08:24 AM
last year my dogs got involed with the schools xc comp! that was errr interesting!! we were walking against the flow!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »