Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 06:19 AM

Pupdate!

Sorry it's taken so long.

He has been here for 2 and a half weeks now and things have settled with him and Cosmo, although Cosmo still doesn't like him being picked up, or him jumping at you for attention. He also still prefers cuddles on the sofa to playtime with the pup in the evening...

Biff is Biff and has gone into hiding, although he seems to have aged a little again. In all honesty though I think that would have happend anyway given the catalogue of things that he has wrong with him.

The pup is HUGE. He is close to being housetrained and understands sit, wait and no (sometimes ). He toally understands what a clicker does. He's 9 and a half weeks. He sleeps about 8 hours a night.

So....that's the positives! The negatives are that Cosmo has regressed! He is back to counter surfing and doing puppy zoomies around the house, at 11 months that's not good! He nicked half my OH and son's beef joint on Sunday!
On a personal level I am still finding that I have very little time to do anything properly. I have't done halfway as much with thispup as I have with the previous ones and I haven't been on a walk with Cosmo since he came (my OH has been taking him). I also have missed out on a couple of daysout with my son. On top of 2 mornings work...therewill I'm sure be more and the cash all adds up.

My main worry is in the future when the pup can get out and about properly. We can't lead walk him and one of ours together. They are fine on a free run but not on the lead. That means one of us would have to walk behind with Cosmo which will ruin his lead work and then who focuses on my son when we go out and about? I don't want to leave Cosmo at home all the time.

I am very concerned that I am spreading myself too thinly and not giving enough to anyone.
I also feel bad as if he were to fail, I wouldn't really want him...I have my heart set on a Flat Coat bitch in the future.

I have made people aware of my concerns and told them I would give it another week....trouble is in that week I've got to know and love him more and he is a lovely pup. I am really surprised that I am feeling as I am as Iwas looking forward to him coming (after initial doubts) and have always LOVED having a puppy of this age and doing all the puppy stuff. I'm not really enjoying this very much...

Think I may have PMT too..........................
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Oh, Ailsa *hugs*.

Only you can make any decision you feel needs making, honey.

I'm pleased about the positives, but understand your worry about the negatives.

I guess it's a case of do the positives outweigh the negatives? It's the only think I can think of that might help you.

x0x0x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 07:00 AM
You`ll look back on this period and only remember the good bits. Same as with human babies! Take lots of photos cos they change so fast and be reassured that the Infantile period doesn`t last 15 years like with non-furry kids. (mind you then you`ve got the Kevin stage..... )
Go on - look forward to Puppy class when you can s**** about how big / brilliant / clever YOUR pup is.

eta the asterisks are for a word that means brag - I didn`t swear honest guv!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Oh, Ailsa. I think in your heart of hearts that if it wasn't for the feeling of letting people down, you would not stick with this pup.

It is a concern that you haven't done half of what you normally do with a pup (but then your 'half' is no doubt still a lot more than other people's whole).

As Vicki has said, only you can make the decision but I just wanted to say that sometimes admitting that something isn't working is better than sticking with it for the sake of it.

I have no doubt, knowing your commitment and experience, you will make it work if you decide to stick with it, but I worry for you that I get the impression that you feel the price in terms of affect on your son and Cosmo may just be too great.

Good luck in your decision hun - whichever one you go for, will be the right one.

(Claire & Daisy, not sure if you're aware but the pup is a potential guide dog - Ramble is puppy walking him, so she won't have him much past the puppy stage).
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Nope - didn`t know that. Isn`t there backup from the Guide Dog people?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2008, 07:41 AM
You sound really down Ailsa and that could be colouring your judgement a little. Cosmo regressing is perfectly normal with a dog his age when a new pup comes along it doesn't last. I always step up their training a level when they behave like that whether because of a new pup or being a teenager. I think our emotions are always on a bit of a roller coaster when we take on a new pup and Pmt (whatever that is ) won't be helping. If you're working as well you will be frazzled. Stop beating yourself up and feeling guilty you can't be all things to all people no matter how hard you try. There will be lots of opportunities for days out with your son and hey talk to him he'll understand. Cosmo is still being walked and it will be with you soon. Try to take a step back and be objective and forget about letting people down, you can only do your best and even you're not perfect mate, close but not quite perfect.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Oh Ailsa! (((HUGS)))

It sounds exactly like when I got Murphy.... Max's training went out of the window, and he started counter surfing again etc (are he and Cosmo related??)

Trouble is right, we had to step up Max's training a lot.
My OH started coming on walks with me, so we could handle a dog each, and they HAD to learn to walk and behave together (I now take boys boys out myself).

As everyone has said, only you can decide what is best...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Oh, Ailsa *hugs*.

Only you can make any decision you feel needs making, honey.

I'm pleased about the positives, but understand your worry about the negatives.

I guess it's a case of do the positives outweigh the negatives? It's the only think I can think of that might help you.

x0x0x
Thanks Vicki.
I think the negatives are winning right now but I don't know if it's exhaustion. I decide we can't do it then I look at him....
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
You`ll look back on this period and only remember the good bits. Same as with human babies! Take lots of photos cos they change so fast and be reassured that the Infantile period doesn`t last 15 years like with non-furry kids. (mind you then you`ve got the Kevin stage..... )
Go on - look forward to Puppy class when you can s**** about how big / brilliant / clever YOUR pup is.

eta the asterisks are for a word that means brag - I didn`t swear honest guv!
I do generally love this period, it's the 6th time we've done this period in 5 years. I generally really enjoy it...but not this time. There have been moments of course and he melts your heart,BUT....
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Oh, Ailsa. I think in your heart of hearts that if it wasn't for the feeling of letting people down, you would not stick with this pup.

It is a concern that you haven't done half of what you normally do with a pup (but then your 'half' is no doubt still a lot more than other people's whole).

As Vicki has said, only you can make the decision but I just wanted to say that sometimes admitting that something isn't working is better than sticking with it for the sake of it.

I have no doubt, knowing your commitment and experience, you will make it work if you decide to stick with it, but I worry for you that I get the impression that you feel the price in terms of affect on your son and Cosmo may just be too great.

Good luck in your decision hun - whichever one you go for, will be the right one.

(Claire & Daisy, not sure if you're aware but the pup is a potential guide dog - Ramble is puppy walking him, so she won't have him much past the puppy stage).
Hali sometimes I think you live in my head...or have my house bugged!!!! You are so spot on. I have been told that we do do much more than most people and I should stop beating myself up as I am still doing more than enough with him, but I do think that if I am going to do it, I should do it to my version of 'properly'...if you see what I mean. Other people's ways do work just as well, don't get me wrong, but my way has worked for me and my dogs and family in the past. I don't know if I need to change my way, or give up and consider it in the future when Cosmo is older and Biff is no longer with us. I do also feel a commitment and responsibility and don't want to let anyone down, including the puppy. I want to do my very best for him...and Cosmo...and my family...and work!!!! It is proving very difficult to do that. At the moment, my son is at a climbing lesson with my oH, if the pup wasn't here I'd be there too, watching from a comfy sofa, with a cup of coffee, chatting and reading the paper........ as it is I'm here....

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Nope - didn`t know that. Isn`t there backup from the Guide Dog people?
Yes there's lots of help and they were out this week. They are happy with our dogs and our situation, but they cannot make a decision about whether I have enough time and energy to devote to this. They feel I am doing enough still and it will get easier when he is allowed out, which it willl in some ways...but the time factor won't alter as they have to be walked separately....
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
You sound really down Ailsa and that could be colouring your judgement a little. Cosmo regressing is perfectly normal with a dog his age when a new pup comes along it doesn't last. I always step up their training a level when they behave like that whether because of a new pup or being a teenager. I think our emotions are always on a bit of a roller coaster when we take on a new pup and Pmt (whatever that is ) won't be helping. If you're working as well you will be frazzled. Stop beating yourself up and feeling guilty you can't be all things to all people no matter how hard you try. There will be lots of opportunities for days out with your son and hey talk to him he'll understand. Cosmo is still being walked and it will be with you soon. Try to take a step back and be objective and forget about letting people down, you can only do your best and even you're not perfect mate, close but not quite perfect.
Thanks Trouble...although I don't know what you mean about not being perfect!!!!
I think that's it....i have just started (last academic year) a regular supply slot which varies from a morning to a week...I really enjoy it ...for me! That is already going on the back burner. My son is bigger now and is out and about more, he has missed out on things already.
I think the other problem is that I have LOVED having Cosmo so much,I have thoroughly enjoyed every moment with him and really enjoyed relaxing the rules, if you see what I mean.....
I am tired and fed up too.... so don't want to make a rash decision....
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Oh Ailsa! (((HUGS)))

It sounds exactly like when I got Murphy.... Max's training went out of the window, and he started counter surfing again etc (are he and Cosmo related??)

Trouble is right, we had to step up Max's training a lot.
My OH started coming on walks with me, so we could handle a dog each, and they HAD to learn to walk and behave together (I now take boys boys out myself).

As everyone has said, only you can decide what is best...
I think Max and Cosmo must be related!We should get them together at some point to check!!!!

I'm not allowed to lead walk the pup and Cosmo together. If OH and I go out together with them on the lead, Cosmo must walk about 10 paces behind...it will be a nightmare. WE can free run them together, but in all honesty with the size of the pup,I would imagine that he won't be doing toooo much for a while yet, we will have to be very careful with his joints. He is going to be enormous. He is the size his half brother was at this age and he ended up 48kg.....
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 09:54 AM
It is so hard, I get that feeling of spreading myself too thin as well. It comes with being a mum I think
What are your OH and son's thoughts? Are you just being too hard on yourself?
I think you just have to be honest with yourself and know that whatever you decide will involve guilt but that doesn't make it the wrong decision. xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-09-2008, 10:06 AM
(((Hugs))) Ailsa knowing you, you will make the right decision whichever one it is in the end it will be the best one.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >