Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2005, 06:24 PM

few questions

Hi All

Just wanted to say that otis had his first puppy class last night and he was so good. Just wanted a bit of advice on a couple of things.

Firstly can anyone reccomend some good treats for the class. Someone told me hot dogs so i used them last night but where otis got over excited he was sick and puked them up everywhere! if anyone has any better ideas i'd love to hear them.

Secondly, i was a little concerned last night ( that's not like me... much!!!) at the training class otis was really pulling on his lead and his eyes went really bloodshot. maybe because he is a white dog i notice it more, but is this normal/ok and how can i stop it.

thanks

jo xx
nichola
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2005, 06:31 PM
what about a few wee chunks of cheese, thats what i used i put them in a small plastic container and took that to puppy training classes.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2005, 06:50 PM
I used to use cheese and small cubes of chicken. Anything that can be eaten quickly really
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi Otis I agree with Nichola and Carole about the cheese also for showing I always used baked liver... simmerl a piece of liver for about 15 mins till firm cut into tiny pieces and bake till hard Eyes..I know it is hard with so many distractions but try to stop Otis pulling by getting his attention with a tipbit or a toy good luck with the classes

sorry Carole..posted at the same time
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 08:35 PM
I give mine either cheese in small chunks or chicken, sometimes I give them homade livercake which they will do anything for I found best way to stop the dog pulling so hard as to choke is have your lead in your right hand and a treat in your left, if the dog starts pulling STOP walking, call its name and put treat under its nose,and lead the dog with the treat back to yourself and guide to dog to your side, as the pup get to your side say good heel and then walk with treat in your left hand, keep doing this, as soon as pup starts to go in front again repeat the process, and each time you tempt the pup next to you reward with a good heel every now and then as the pup is at heel give a little of the treat.

Mo