Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 08:14 AM

Bad reactions to Tonks.

I have had a couple of bad reactions to Tonks this weekend and it has upset me.

On a walk with my friend and her three whippets a woman, with a shi tzu type thing, saw us and put her dog on the lead. I put Tonks on the lead and this seemed to worry the woman even more and she put on a real turn of pace. Later she stopped to sit on a bench with her husband and i put Tonks back on lead to pass them incase she decided to hop up on the bench with them, as they had their dog on their lap. As soon as she saw me do this they both hopped up and carried their dog, walking really fast and glancing over their shoulder all the time.

That evening i was at OH's mums and she had two relatives coming round. I helpd Tonks while they came into the room and the woman was petrified and froze on the spot. Margaret (OH's mum) told them to sit down and explained that Tonks was a friendly puppy and just excited to see them. She told me to let go of her, and really i probably should have stuck to my gut feeling, but i let go and Tonks jump up once. They both squeeled, hands thrashing in the air, of course!

I called Tonks back and asked her to sit and lie down, which she did of course.....and they said "oh, she does what she is told then!" They sounded really surprised! Tonks then calmed down completely, but i kept a really close eye on her.

She went to the coffee table by the woman once, walked really slowly and sniffed the table and the woman started flapping and making odd shoooing sounds. Tonks looked at her as if she was a nuttah but came away again when i asked her.

It really upset me, especially as we explained she was a puppy, not yet 8 months yet. I also explained that she was well trained, very friendly and we hope to use her as a PAT dog once she can great people a little less exuberently. You could see that they just did not believe me at all!

I suppose it was to expected as she is a dark dog, who is taller than a staff should be due to a bit of labrador in her mother i think.

Anyway, i was wondering if a pink collar would help as i can't make her shorter or make her where a blond fluff wig!

I have seen some really nice Jacquard ones. At the moment she has a red collar but i wonder is a pink sparkley one might help people to see past her face and the colour of her.

This woman makes collars big enough for staffs, great danes, shepherds etc as well.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2008, 09:02 AM
I think if you want a pink collar you should get a pink collar, but whether it will change anyones perception of Tonks is debatable. I don't think people see the collar just the size of the dog tbh. I deliberately taught my lot to ignore everyone they meet unless I say otherwise, but then you get someone complain they're stand offish and not very friendly. I think basically you have to do what you know is right and develop a bit of thick skin where certain breeds are concerned. I've always been adamant that no one would ever be able to question my dogs behaviour but you know what some people will always find something to complain about. Maybe now Tonks is coming along so well you can divert your attention to the people you meet and train them how to behave around dogs.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Yes - that sounds like a good idea!

Luckily i don't think i will see those people again. Tonks is fine on walks and i can't remember the last time she jumped up at someone on a walk.

There is always the odd one who bends down using a really excited voice! But by that time i have usually judged it well and slipped my hand inside my collar and said "off" first, very quietly so only Tonks notices!

OH's sister has already made unhappy noises about us having "fighting dog" as she put it. But she used to love a friend EBT!!!!!!!

They were going round to OH's mum house yesterday, but i made sure we left before they got there. I think we will continue to practise greeting visitors who like and understand dogs before we move on to greeting those who seem to have already made their mind up!

The woman on the dog walk was very odd because Tonks never got more that 20 feet from her as i whistled her back each time. Tonks was interested in why the woman was behaving so oddly!!

I love her and think she is the best dog ever, but it makes me wonder if i would have another one because of some of the reactions. But then i know, hand on heart that she is the right dog for us with our home and paul's children.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 09:30 AM
I get the same reaction to Toro and find just putting her on the lead to walk by saves a lot of bother, yet the big one can wander around do what he likes and no one bothers, he would be the one more likely to have a daft moment and jump up at some one saying hello in the passing...As Trouble says they see the dog not the collar...
You hold your head high when you pass these people and know that at least your dog does what shes told and love her all the more for that x
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I get the same reaction to Toro and find just putting her on the lead to walk by saves a lot of bother, yet the big one can wander around do what he likes and no one bothers, he would be the one more likely to have a daft moment and jump up at some one saying hello in the passing...As Trouble says they see the dog not the collar...
You hold your head high when you pass these people and know that at least your dog does what shes told and love her all the more for that x
Yeah - thank you.

I always put her on lead to walk past dogs when they are on the lead. Even though she would love to play with them!

This stupid woman wouldn't even stand still so we could walk past her, she kept scutteling off looking over her shoulder!

I am hoping Tonks will be a PAT dog eventually and i wonder if people would look differently on her if she had a pat coat on! But then you just can't convince some people!

Have spoken to Tonks' breeders today and oddly enough all the of the pups are taller than their mummy! They must all take after daddy. But mum did have some lab in her so maybe they are throw backs!
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Huni.. don`t shoot the messenger, but i`ve got 3 dogs 2 big and 1 little. They have been attacked twice by staffies, so it`s the not knowing what a particular dog might be like, that`s the worry. So we do try and avoid.

I can understand the woman with the small dogs reaction as i`d be the same with Mia.. especially as she`s a mouthy little cow.. who asks for trouble. One snap and Mia would be no more. The very sad thing is... since the attacks my two bigguns don`t give any other dog the chance to prove they are friendly or not, as they now become offensive immediately.

I am absolutely gleeful if people change their direction and walk away, when we are out for walks... but it`s usually me that has to take the long way round.. lol
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Awwwwwwwww poor Tonks. It can be annoying I know. We get it owning 3 dogs, to be honest hun, I now ignore it.
When we're out we have noticed people picking up thier dog or putting it on a lead and pulling it away. I asked one woman last week ''Is your's not friendly then'' the answer was ''Oh! yes but I thought you having 3, he may get attacked''.
I smiled and said, ''No fear of that, they are fine''
after that she let her's play with ours.

As Trouble has said, people just need training now.
Pat always starts conversations with people like that now and immediately says now ''they are fine''
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks young stevie. Maybe i will try that approach with people. I usualy say, "she's very friendly if your dog wants to play".

Janie, yes there are irresponsible owners who have done so many stupid things that these dogs now have a very bad name. I too have met at least two staffs that should have been on lead and weren't and some very noisy players! Luckily Tonks is a quiet player and not a snarler. She has had a couple of nto nice incidents with staffs, a rottie, two daschunds and a lurcher, but i take each dog on its own merits.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by janie View Post
Huni.. don`t shoot the messenger, but i`ve got 3 dogs 2 big and 1 little. They have been attacked twice by staffies, so it`s the not knowing what a particular dog might be like, that`s the worry. So we do try and avoid.

I can understand the woman with the small dogs reaction as i`d be the same with Mia.. especially as she`s a mouthy little cow.. who asks for trouble. One snap and Mia would be no more. The very sad thing is... since the attacks my two bigguns don`t give any other dog the chance to prove they are friendly or not, as they now become offensive immediately.

I am absolutely gleeful if people change their direction and walk away, when we are out for walks... but it`s usually me that has to take the long way round.. lol
Thats a shame, Inka and Kain were both attacked by staffies too, mum and daughter, the mum is very agressive but the boys never put her on and of course when one starts the other one goes too, Kain had a sore one from the mum, the boys were showing no interest at all luckily it didn't scar them physically or mentally...I avoid that walk at the times I know the boys will be there with the dogs
But also know a lot of wee staffies and all they want to do is play
Sometimes when you see a dog coming towards you especially black when you can't see the eyes I think that makes us feel a bit unsure cause we can't read any expressions, paint her face white when you go out lol xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 09:53 AM
how about a t-shirt with `Never mind the dog - beware of the owner`?
Having always had GSD`s I am familiar with this my son (6`, hair down to bum, death metal tshirt) would pick up our big dark and frankly scary GSD when he walked past quaking fluffies saying `There there, dear, I won`t let the nasty little dog get you`. Strangely no-one gave him any abuse back.

If it makes you feel better, I had a friend on the phone a couple of days ago, furious because she`d taken her elderly shtzu out for its toddle and 2 teenage boys told her she shouldn`t be taking dangerous dogs out. Apparently they were serious!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >