Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2005, 07:27 AM

Nervous agression

I am fostering a dog that was chained up and beaten nearly daily by its previous owner until he was rescued, he is a very loving dog and very trusting....once he gets to know you, understandably his initial reaction is to bark at strangers in particularly men and he will get himself very wound up if ignored he will settle after about 15 mins and want to make friends but not many people are up for this. I am doing all the reccomended things, he comes to my training classes with me to meet people and we have little walks with lots of praise for good behaviour, and food treats from all new people...does anyone have any further suggestions. He has good days and bad days and I suspect that he will always be wary, I would just really like to get him over the barking at first sight as people looking to rehome can never see past this.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Alexa have you seen ShadowBoxer's article on here? http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=8050 have a look and see if that helps
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks, I hadn't, I will have a read through.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Im sure Shadowboxer will be along later to offer advice and also Doglistener
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Have just read shadowboxers article and we are already employing the early stages that he talks about, it was really good and convinced me that I am doing the right things with him. One of the main problems Taff and I come accross is the ignorence of people....their attitudes towards his behaviour and their insistance that they know best. Even when asked to ignore him some people seem completly incapable of doing this, that is when they can hear me over the top of his noise.
JackRussellsRule!
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi Alexa, I haven't got any more advice that's been given but loads of luck with him. He sounds like a wonderful dog and I do hope he goes to a loving and caring home. Jx
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by ALexa
Have just read shadowboxers article and we are already employing the early stages that he talks about, it was really good and convinced me that I am doing the right things with him. One of the main problems Taff and I come accross is the ignorence of people....their attitudes towards his behaviour and their insistance that they know best. Even when asked to ignore him some people seem completly incapable of doing this, that is when they can hear me over the top of his noise.
Hello

In the early stage (watching the world go by) it is very useful to have a second person with you to head off anyone who appears intent on approaching your dog. Explain that the dog is at a crucial stage in his training and that it is absolutely vital for his wellbeing that he is not approached. Lay it on thick

Well-meaning people can be the biggest obstacle that you have to overcome when desensitizing your dog

I hope you are finding the article helpful.

Best wishes, and keep us informed of progress.
SB
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

13-04-2005, 10:07 AM
I hope it all goes well for Taff - people can be really annoying when you are trying to help you're dog through a problem

When I was younger we got an Alsation that had been a breeders dog so she was older - she had been abused by a male in the kennels - to the point that she HATED men. When we got her my dad could not go any where near her, no man could. Eventually we found her weakness which was Teacakes and Milkyways. If a man came into the house so long as he had one or the other then Tinga would allow him in. Not that I'm reccommending you give dogs chocolate - but with perserverance it is possible to help them get over their past.

I'll never understand how a person can ill-treat an animal
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

13-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by ALexa
I am fostering a dog that was chained up and beaten nearly daily by its previous owner until he was rescued, he is a very loving dog and very trusting....once he gets to know you, understandably his initial reaction is to bark at strangers in particularly men and he will get himself very wound up if ignored he will settle after about 15 mins and want to make friends but not many people are up for this. I am doing all the reccomended things, he comes to my training classes with me to meet people and we have little walks with lots of praise for good behaviour, and food treats from all new people...does anyone have any further suggestions. He has good days and bad days and I suspect that he will always be wary, I would just really like to get him over the barking at first sight as people looking to rehome can never see past this.
Hi Alexa

I have PMd you with a link to an article that I have written on Fearful and Timid dogs, which is also being run as a two part article in Dogs Monthly this Month and next Month. I have also read SDs article and that is excellent.

Tell me how you get on.

Stan
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks, its great to be able to get advice from others....I have had quite a bit of experience with dogs and would go to the end of the earth for them but sometimes its nice to talk to others that have been there or also deal with things like this. I'll have a look at your article as well dog listener. Thanks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >