View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2008, 02:50 PM

If' at first, you don't succeed, USE FORCE!!!

By dint of holding his jaws apart, this morning, we managed to get some food into Snorri's yap. Once we got it in, we held his mouth shut, until he had no option but to swallow it! A bit on the crude side, perhaps, but it worked. All in all, we got about a quarter to a third of a normal feed rammed into him .

This afternoon, he seems a lot brighter, and even took the time to investigate some of the more intimate bits of the District Nurse - it's a good job she likes dogs.....

I'm not sure that he has "turned any corners", but it's the best he's looked in days. We'll see what he's like at dinner-time (which is 6 pm).

Snorri
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Oh dear Snorri, shame you had to use shock tactics, but if it works, don't knock it hey! I'm sure, once they haven't eaten for a while, they can go right off food, which is very strange. Was that the chicken, or are you saving the nice for later then in the hope that he'll actually eat it on his own this time! I do hope so, it sounds just what he needed to bring him back to some sort of normality. Glad he seems a lot brighter anyway, and still got everything crossed that this is a turning point and he'll be totally back to his old self. Good luck for 6 o'clock then.x
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2008, 03:22 PM
As for "shock tactics", they're a development from my old home rule ("I don't take no s**t from no effing dog!"), but, as you say, if they work, what the heck! We did him no harm (other than, perhaps, denting his dignity a wee bit!) and seem to have helped.

That was the Royal Canin tinned meat: he'll get chicken tomorrow, if he's a good boy.

Yesterday, he even stole Kali's Dentastick and scoffed it, and he has never lost his appetite for bits of sausage (we put his pills in them), but he isn't allowed any more than the tiniest bit of sausage - because of the fat, even if they are Tesco reduced-fat!

At the risk of "bigging up" Mrs S and myself, I do wonder sometimes just how many of the local farmers would have gone to these lengths for him, especially bearing in mind that he's epileptic as well.

Snorri
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 03:24 PM
'Big yourself up' all you like Snorri - you're doing your best for him!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Hoping he continues to improve......
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
'Big yourself up' all you like Snorri - you're doing your best for him!
I 2nd that one too!!!!
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2008, 04:59 PM
My mum used to make me eat broad beans the same way! lol. I love them now - hopefully Snorri will follow suit.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Great stuff. If you use a syringe you can feed liquids in too. They have a handy gap in their side teeth! It might be an easier way of getting food in? You could use milk maybe? Hope he continues to improve.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Hope you got on OK with the 6.00 ?
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Hope everything went ok at 6.00pm.

My first dog wouldn't eat when away from home (not very good at home either ) so when on holiday I would have to force feed everyday or he would have starved for 2 weeks! So do what you have to and get something into him

Sue
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >