Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brooklyn
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2008, 09:51 PM

Bee Sting Allergies -- be aware!

Of course you would never know until it happens, but I found out that Brooklyn is allergic to bee stings. She has always been playful with lightning bugs chasing them till their lights go out, pawing at ants and pouncing on bees and beetles. We used to joke and say, "you're not going to be happy when the bee bites you back, Brooklyn!" We really had no idea.

I was sitting in the yard watching the kids in the pool, not really minding the dog much. She was just doing her thing in the grass when all of a sudden she came trotting toward me and her head had swollen to an unnatural shape! I jumped up, ran the dog into the house and called the vet. She was panting hard, pawing at her face and rubbing it frantically on the tile floor. She ran into my bedroom closet and hid in the corner-- that's when I panicked! I was trying to pull her out by her arms and she was resisting. I was afraid she was going to react and bite me because she was in pain, but I was able to grab her and carry her to the car. Her breathing was labored and by the time I drove her to the vet, her face had swelled so badly her eyes were like two slits. They gave her two intramuscular injections: one of Benadryl and the other was an anti-inflammatory. It took her the better part of an hour to even see a slight change in her face, but her breathing had improved. It took her a good 24 hours before fully recovering.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I now have to carry Benadryl every where I go. If it happens again, I was told to force feed it to her immediately, then get her to the vet.

Any advice or suggestions on this?

Below are before and after --

Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Bless her is she any better? xx
Brooklyn
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:00 PM
She's 100% back to normal. Thank you!
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
She's 100% back to normal. Thank you!
oh thats good, is her allergy the same as some humans with bee's and wasps?
Brooklyn
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Yes, it's just the same. I had never known that it could happen to animals before this.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
Yes, it's just the same. I had never known that it could happen to animals before this.
no neither did i, I knew they could have a slight reaction but she looks really poorly on those pic's bless her xx
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Aw Bless! I had a reaction like that to bee sting I carry Piriton all the time! has made my kids Phobic as they saw what I looked like!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Had a dog who had a reaction like that to hedgehog fleas. It was terrifying. The head is the worst place as the swelling closes the throat.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 03:31 AM
Oh yes tell me all about it everytime this subject comes up reminds me of Tweed who died 2yrs ago from anaphylactic shock after being stung in the throat (the very worst place poss) by a bee/wasp she died in my arms within minutes,(only a couple but it seemed like foever) she lterally choked to death.
Please everyone take great care with bees/wasps.

Tweed BC 2003-2006

Jeanette

ps Antihistamine in this case could not have worked fast enough
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 06:33 AM
We have Skye....who is allergic to bee stings.

luckily the vets is literally across the road, but I do keep piriton in, just incase they are closed. Skye looks like she has a severe case on mumps, as she comes up in huge lumps that even travel down to the throat area.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >