View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 10:45 AM

Would you pay more for a puppy with parentage guarenteed?

Have posted in the breeder section about the new Kennel Club certificate that has all the dogs tests & DNA testing plus in a GSD's case the gradings from German & English surveys etc. My question is, obviously at least to start with these are going to be quite expensive, so would you be prepared to pay more for a puppy if you could see a guarenteed KC certificate with all details on it for the puppies' mother & father?
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 11:09 AM
forgive my naivety but isnt that what pedigree certificate are, less the DNA test?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
forgive my naivety but isnt that what pedigree certificate are, less the DNA test?
They are but up until now they have not included any tests they don't initiate so the German hip & elbow status & the breed survey results & the German qualifications for a British dog would not be on the form. They are now in the case of dogs where the dog is chipped prepared to accept these outside qualifications. Of course the chip & tattoo details are also on the certificate.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
They are but up until now they have not included any tests they don't initiate so the German hip & elbow status & the breed survey results & the German qualifications for a British dog would not be on the form. They are now in the case of dogs where the dog is chipped prepared to accept these outside qualifications. Of course the chip & tattoo details are also on the certificate.

well, in that case then, unless i wanted to show/breed then, no i wouldnt want to pay more.
i think pedigrees are overpriced, fueling PF breeding. sorry.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Have posted in the breeder section about the new Kennel Club certificate that has all the dogs tests & DNA testing plus in a GSD's case the gradings from German & English surveys etc. My question is, obviously at least to start with these are going to be quite expensive, so would you be prepared to pay more for a puppy if you could see a guarenteed KC certificate with all details on it for the puppies' mother & father?
Why should the puppies be more expensive ?

The health & breed surveys should be done irrespective of whether the dogs are going to be bred from IMHO. My BC's have had 3/4s of their health tests done, just hip/elbow x rays & clinical eye tests to do. It has cost me £750 + already & I've not even decided whether or not I will be breeding from any of them

In Germany the health tests & DNA profiling are manadatory before being surveyed for breeding purposes-the cost of their puppies hasn't really increased to cover this.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 12:30 PM
well, in that case then, unless i wanted to show/breed then, no i wouldnt want to pay more.
I cannot see why the puppies would be more expensive the tests are one off on the whole & to buy a puppy from unhealth tested parents because of cost is folly in my eyes anyway.
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2008, 12:35 PM
No wouldn't pay more, I do all of the health tests requested at the moment for my breed and at the moment seem to sell them the cheapest.

Also nothing in life is ever a guarantee, something can always crop up, they are animals after all said and done. But at least testing for certain things we can be more aware that we won't be causing certain hereditary problems.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I cannot see why the puppies would be more expensive the tests are one off on the whole & to buy a puppy from unhealth tested parents because of cost is folly in my eyes anyway.

i agree, but if DNA became compulsory then prices would rise. costs involved with ethical breeding, as you know, are expensive and most breeders pass these costs onto puppy buyers.

this is where the PF cash in and the unsuspecting public get conned for a cheaper dog on the initial outlay.

i'm not saying it right but, some pedigrees are proportionatley over priced. the KC should be doing more on this front than just adding more tests to the pedigree as a guarantee. which really there is none.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-07-2008, 01:11 PM
My question would be what does this new pedigree certificate guarantee anyway?????
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I agree, I think price of pedigree dogs and rescues to some extent help fuel PF breeding!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »