Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 09:28 PM

Best dog for jogging?

A question my Sister asked me today on behalf of a friend who is considering getting a dog and does fell running!

I sugested a Dalmatian, but she said she only wants a medium sized dog (that isn't totally nuts! ). Then I tried Siberian Husky, but the dog will be off lead a lot of the time, so that was shunned too. I have to say I was a bit stumped after that, all I can really come up with is Border Collies or Springers?

Anyone any better suggestions?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Collies
Springers
Welshies
Bit bigger -
Labs
Dare I say it? Weims!
Poniters
Some setters
What about terriers if she wants smaller? A fair few terriers would do well on it, borders maybe a good bet?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Collies
Springers
Welshies
Bit bigger -
Labs
Dare I say it? Weims!
Poniters
Some setters
What about terriers if she wants smaller? A fair few terriers would do well on it, borders maybe a good bet?
I thought about Border Terriers, but then worried about the whole prey drive and being off lead thing?! Defintely a consideration though.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 09:47 PM
rescue a wee mix, i have seen loads just enjoying the whole jogging thing x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
rescue a wee mix, i have seen loads just enjoying the whole jogging thing x
Yeah I must admit I thought that could solve the problem, but you know how some people are with rescues "problem dogs" etc

Have to say I saw some gorgeous long legged Terrier Crosses at the Dogs Trust Open Day today, they'd probably do the trick quite nicely!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 09:51 PM
At risk of sounding like a damp squib what else is she looking for in a dog ? Presumably the fell running will only take up part of the day on the days she goes running so what about the rest of the time ? I mean in terms of how much time she can give a dog, some being more high maintenance than others as it were, some breeds not being ideal for first time owners, [ if she is a first time owner that is ], and for the level of fitness the dog will need to have will likely be a very active dog at other times too so needs to be one who`s mental needs can be fulfilled too - assuming she does`nt want one that goes running with her but can be shoved in a cupboard until the next running session

[ I don`t mean that to sound `snippy`, heck you know what I mean ]
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I would have said a Lab, or a rescue if one could be found suited to it..
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yeah I must admit I thought that could solve the problem, but you know how some people are with rescues "problem dogs" etc

Have to say I saw some gorgeous long legged Terrier Crosses at the Dogs Trust Open Day today, they'd probably do the trick quite nicely!
Oh I was gonna take madface to that but just got back from Scotland yesterday and was too shattered! Was is a good day?
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 09:55 PM
I went jogging with Jamie once, now admittedly he was on a flexi, but I wished I was on skates at the time
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I thought about Border Terriers, but then worried about the whole prey drive and being off lead thing?! Defintely a consideration though.
You'd have to ask Dawn I guess but I think most of the 'leggier' terriers or terrier mixes would be up for it. A terrier/collie mix would be great, maybe if she had a look about the rescues she would fall for a special someone? They don't all have problems obviously although that is a lot of peoples' perception and the fact they are a 'second hand dog' and somehow not as good as a brand new one but I think once people get in and have a look all those daft ideas are usually left at the doors, so if you could get her in 'just to look' then that's half the battle.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >