Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:43 PM

Gutted (re: perception of rotties)

S'pose i'll have to get used to it but I need a bit of a vent really. As if i'm developing a tough skin about a dog I don't even have yet, but there you go!

I went to a pal's house for lunch today with some other friends. The person who's place we went to (she lives on a farm, very used to dogs and lots of animals obviously) is a very good friend, as is another of the lasses who went. The others are good friends but not particularly close friends so I can take what they say with a pinch of salt if you know what I mean.

Anyway we were just chatting as you do and one of them was talking about her new puppy, a b&t cav which she is bringing home in 2 weeks, so naturally I started on my future rott pup.

Out of the 5 of them not one was with me on this, all under the impression they were horrid dogs and wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. Well most of you know me and I tried to say some things about them and the media hype without blagging their heads about the breed all day, but in the end I said that when I eventually got my pup i'd have to bring him over to my friend's farm and change everyone's mind and I was basically told, noway.

I just find it really sad that some people, especially 2 close friends, won't even give an 8 week old pup a chance, never mind an adult, bearing in mind not a single one of them has ever met a rottie before, just from 'what they had heard'. It was all, 'OH NO, I HOPE I NEVER HAVE TO MEET ONE'.

I really want to be able to change their minds, especially the 2 lasses who I do consider to be very good friends, will have to have a think. Just brings it home exactly how much damage the media hype has done.

Rant over.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Yep know what you mean, I had that when I was meant to be getting my ridgie.... I have met a couple of Rotts and the ones I have met have been stoopid I have nothing against any dog and have no prejudices against them, just some owners But I suppose the media has done alot of damage!! Personally I want to go up north and be rottified by Marius, Asta and Smeags
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:49 PM
er...... one word... uneducated

...and not only that, not willing to learn either

Plebs.....

zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
er...... one word... uneducated

...and not only that, not willing to learn either

Plebs.....

Agree with you here.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:51 PM
It is very sad when the media do alot of damage to breeds.
I know exactly where your coming from.

My Dad makes the odd comment about my two from time to time,I haven't told him were having another pup yet,but he doesn't live here so really it's got nothing to with him anyway.

Trouble with the media they never give facts,it's all devil dog hype.They have alot to answer for.

Don't give up Kel,we've had it happen loads of times,but once they have met the dogs and seen there true nature and temprement they change there minds and ask why the media print such horrid stories.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Send Boobah round, she'll soon put them right about a thing or ten. I'm sure she'd have Nero hot on her tail as well.

Sometimes you just end up banging your head against a wall with some breeds and it's just best to turn a deaf ear and just enjoy the pleasure of the breed for yourself.

Is there no way you could have a dinner party at your house once you've got your puppy so they're forced to see how gorgeous they are?

Heidi
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:52 PM
thats very sad ,its deff the media thats done it ,it just gos to show how powerfull the press /tv can be , im sure when you get your lovely pup,the two close friends will realise how daft they are being ,and grow to love it . there was article in the paper about how many rotties /staffies are in the rehomeing centres ,and cant find a home
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 07:58 PM
I can understand how you feel. When I said we got a staffy, a person I regarded as broadminded informed me that they were baby eaters and dangerous. Without knowing anything about my dog, or the breed itself.

I have now developed a thick skin, and since discovered in my town a large number of staffy fans.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:03 PM
awe hun, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, Im sorry but only meeting a nice rottie will change there minds, when people have in built issues with the breed its only seeing they are very wrong and the breed can be great that changes minds, even this can take time, some folk feel ye they are ok now cos they are pups but you wait and see they will kill before they are two years old, it could take a long time of knowing one before they truely trust/like the dog x
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Well they do come to my place so they will meet him eventually, just really bugs me because they are otherwise really good friends and i'm thinking to myself GAWDDDDDD DON'T BE SO BLOODY IGNORANT!!!!! Especially as I offered to bring him round as a puppy, for gawds sake, A PUPPY! What on earth they think he'd do I don't know.

Sal both my parents are the same, my mum is moreso because of the hype, she doesn't like rotts, staffs, any kind of bull breed, she was attacked by a dally as a child so doesn't like them either, she hates Maddy, honestly she's much much worse than my pals. My dad is a bit different, he just doesn't like the idea of having a dog that he may not have the strength to remove if it did turn, so says he wouldn't have any dog heavier than himself and i'd be stupid if I got a dog heavier than I am. Not understanding that owning a large breed dog is not all about brawn. Saying that he'd always had GSDs in the past which are not exactly small! So i'm at a loss as far as my family is concerned too.

So many small minds to change.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »