Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 04:38 PM

ikea furniture

I was just eyeing up a wardrobe i would quite like to get from ikea and it obviously needs self-assembly, i was wondering if anyone knew if thier furniture is difficult to make up or not, im not too bad with these things and i'll probably get help from my brother but just wondered anyones opinion
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-05-2008, 05:05 PM
They're fine to make - In fact Hannah's Ikea cot will be coming down from the attic shortly for rebuilding ready for the next one.

Thay are a bit hit and miss for quality though.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 05:31 PM
I have been looking at the wardrobes from ikea, but what I find odd is they say they must be fixed to the wall. I'm thinking are they not stable enough then? All the wardrobes I have had in the past have not been fixed to the wall. Strange I thought.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
I have been looking at the wardrobes from ikea, but what I find odd is they say they must be fixed to the wall. I'm thinking are they not stable enough then? All the wardrobes I have had in the past have not been fixed to the wall. Strange I thought.
Could just be the old 'health and safety gone mad' thing.

Even things like 1m high book cases seem to come with rear mounted wall brackets these days.
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-05-2008, 05:45 PM
I had the pax range, and can assure you, you dont need to bolt them to walls.

they're very well built IMO and a doddle to put together, indeed they were still in as new condition 4 years later!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 07:07 PM
I've built plenty of Ikea furniture in my time and must say it is the easiest I've ever put together.
Not only that but you can disemble it and reassemble it without losing quality in the joins.... unlike a far more expensive MFI wardrobe I had once.
Charlie has a huge cube shelf unit in his bedroom and a chest of drawers from them, plus his trolley for his tv and games etc. He also has a tall bookcase which is secured to the wall, and as he had a chest of drawers tip onto him when he was 2 I would always do it when recommended. It's only a little tack onto the top of the furniture with a webbing tie to fix to the wall, not difficult to do.
I have a lovely desk unit in my office that wasn't cheap but has been brilliant.
OH has the tallest shelf unit in his office and I think they are all good quality.
You just need to make sure you can fit the bits in the car and have a friend to help you or you will look a bit of a muppet.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I've had things over the years and no problems.
My parents moved out and had a house built in France a few years ago and bought the kitchen and all the bedroom furniture from Ikea (five bedrooms worth) Out of it all only one bit of the kitchen was damaged. It has all been fitted to the wall as it's floor to ceiling wardrobes. I suppose anything over a certain height they have to recommend fixing to the wall for safety. All the stuff I had was instructions by pictures and every screw coded. So if I can do it I would say you're safe.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 07:41 PM
We have Ikea wardrobes and they don't need to be fixed to the wall. I think you will find they will provide a small strap. One end attaches to the wardrobe the other screws to the wall. It is an anti-topple device in case youngsters try and climb them. Most furniture that is taller than deep comes with them now. We have lots from ikea and have never had any problems. The wardrobe insides are easy to put together too as I did this at Easter. Our Pax wardrobes have been going for 15 years now, and are still standing strong.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 08:20 PM
We've got Ikea floor to ceiling wardrobes and have had them for years. They're fine to construct and are solid as a rock - I lurve Ikea, can you tell?
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I love ikea toooooo

Bought wardrobes not long ago, they went togeather lovely and i think i remember them having a bracket to fix to the wall, just thought it was to cover there bum on the health and safety side of things. Didn't fix them to the wall and they are brilliant. We moved sept. so had to dismantle and put togeather again and they are still great.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >