Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2008, 08:53 AM

Help! Biting pup!

I've been off-line recently cos we now have our adorable Kooikerhundje! He's 8 weeks old, very lively, seems to be devoted to me already (he sits on my feet when I'm at the sink!), but, altho I know all puppies bite, he will NOT leave go of sleeves etc once he's got his jaws round! We've tried all the training tips from the books, i.e. distract him with his toys, growl loudly at him, yelp and turn away, but he seems oblivious! Our 14 year old daughter for whom we really got him is already becoming paranoid about his biting. She is reluctant to play with him for (real) fear of being bitten! He starts puppy school when he's had all his injections at 12 weeks. Please please could anyone give some advice. We've only had him 5 days and he's settled really well, and we have no problems other that this! Thank you!!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 10:22 AM
You could try telling her/him no and making a growling noise then putting the puppy in his/her crate for some quiet time , So that it begins to realise the behaviour is unexceptable , Or it could be on the early stages of teething ,Try rubbing sme teething gel around its gums, I use bonjela the same as used for human babies ,Sugar free is best , I put it in the fridge for a few minutes before applying , They dislike the taste usually but it does help a lot, And I would give it some chews to help the teeth come threw ,Hth xxdk
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2008, 10:28 AM
thanks Dollyknockers! I think the cage idea sounds just what we need...he might finally understand we don't want him to bite! Just taken him round the front garden on a lead for the first time! Great experience! Now I really feel we have a dog! Can't take him anywhere dogs have been tho until he's had his jabs....4 weeks to go.......and counting!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Ah its wonderful being able to take them out and get them sociallised , Enjoy showing your beautiful boy of xxxdk
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I can't add anything more than DK has already said other than, let the puppy games begin.

Enjoy your new pup, they grow so fast.

Heidi
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Aww pups are such fun
if its clothes not hands what I did was to freeze - not move at all
if they are having a tuggy game then this makes it boring
and as said if teeth touch flesh then games stop
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks for your advice guys. I'm also trying to get him used to being in his crate with the door shut (so that we can eventually leave him locked in it overnight), so I'm reluctant to put him in when he bites in case he starts to think that being put in his crate is a punishment. You really have to be a psycologist these days don't you!?
Just about to take him on his first lead outing outside the garden. Wish me luck!
For those of you who wanted to see a photo, I'll attempt to put one up as soon as I've figured out how!
Haha!