Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Chemical spraying

I have been pondering this for a while ,I would like your views and theories on this , Is the chemicals the council sprays on the road side weeds and pathways harmful to dogs , I always keep an eye out for them as they never seem to give any warning to dog owners that they are coming and i always bring my babies in just to be safe , My mummy used to own a beautiful little chiuaah called rex he was a little darling of a dog , And one day he was in the back garden doing his buisness then that evening he started to be ill and vomit , the next morning the little fella had passed to the bridge ,The vet stated he had been poisioned and had died rather painfully , The previous day the council where spraying and I wondered if the unknown poision could have been the chemical used by the council ,Mum refused to have an autopsy done on her litle chap as she could not bare to have him opened up .
So I would be very interested in your views on this thanks

xxdk
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I have questioned this before and the council said it "should" be harmless. I then asked if its harmless why to the men that spray it on wear masks!!! No answer to that!! I have had a serious reaction to "something" on two of my Dogs recently, one was very serious indeed. the Vets are saying someything abrasive, probably battery acid, but cant be sure. Im wondering whether anything was sprayed around the bushes where they went.
Dawn.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I think they are to be honest. Afterall it is a chemical, and if you used straight forward weed killer, it says 'harmful to animals and not to get on your skin'
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks Dawn and Stephanie that what I was thinking as a few times when they have been spraying near my sisters house her big male boxer has been vomiting violently ,As my B,I,L walks him on there local football field it has happened when the council have been spraying there so called harmless chemicals xxdk
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2008, 08:33 PM
It is harmful IMO, at least until rain washes it into the soil, as it's used on grassy areas it's a selective weed killer, I'd never let my dogs walk on it just after spraying.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 09:07 PM
I steer well clear. I know of a couple of dogs that have suffered posioning in the months when the spraying is going it was so bad they went to the bridge. Not worth the risk...I stay well away.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 09:19 PM
I too avoid it at all costs I even call my mum and sisters to let them know incase there dogs or cats are out dside in the garden so they can be vigilant , And if im out or oh is out my mum comes over and brings my dogs in just incase xxdk
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Thing is, if you dont see them spray you dont know its been done. Sometimes the grass goes yellow with the stuff they use here, thats often my only clue, of course it takes several days for that to happen, by which time its too late.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Thing is, if you dont see them spray you dont know its been done. Sometimes the grass goes yellow with the stuff they use here, thats often my only clue, of course it takes several days for that to happen, by which time its too late.
Complain to your local council Dawn, when they're spraying here they put warning notices up.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-04-2008, 09:41 PM
On our school grounds, we use the same contractor that the Local authority use for all their public areas.

Of course, different contractors will use different herbicides. Here in our part of Bucks, the herbicide is only dangerous in the spray form as it is being applied. After it has made contact with the plant, it becomes harmless.

The reason they wear suits and masks is to avoid breathing in the mist whilst it is in the spray form.

However, this may not be the case in other Local Authorities.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >