View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twiglet422
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2008, 07:43 AM

(BIt of a rant) But im so annoyed with inconciderate dog owners. (long sorry)

Sorry you have probably heard something like this before but im so annoyed.
So here goes....
This morning i decided to take Sasha my little pocket rocket (Westie x) out for a nice long walk (whilst theres no rain....) went round the lake through the nature reserve round the back of town and into the park. Very well behaved didnt pull on the lead (unusual for her!!) and made friends with a nice little cocker spaniel.
So when we got to the park (big area very dog friendly great for doggy play time!!) my friend (who has the cocker) and i decided to let the dogs off the lead they both have very good recall and will go into sit and down through different tones of the wistle.
So off they were playing what looked like some very odd game of doggy kiss chase and doggy wrestling!! When in the distance we could see a lady with 3 SBT's and a Rottie who looked like she was having some control issues! So we call our dogs back and they sit and wait until we know what shes doing (Sasha can be funny with other dogs if they come running up to her and sometimes she will run away and become had of hearing! She was bitten as a small pup and became very fearful of other dogs but we are getting there and she has started becoming friends and playing with other dogs). She was shouting and going at these dogs who were going in different directions no control the dogs were pulling and barking. So naturally we decided that we would keep our dogs to heel and walk the other way (bear in mind the Sash is only 11 months old and sparky is only 6 months) in the process of us turning round and walking the other way this woman had let all her dogs off the lead and supprise surprise they were all heading straight for us so we put our dogs quickly on the lead and headed for the gate. The woman was casually walking across the field shouting at the top of her voice trying to call her dogs back and they had no intention of stopping and going back to her they just kept on coming growling and barking on the way.
Now dont get me wrong i like SBT's and Rotties and have nothing against them actually had them as a kid but in the wrong hands (which these obviously were) they can be quite aggressive towards both dogs and humans. Next thing we know we have these snarling dogs right next to us somewhere along the line the big old Rottie had given up and was heading back to some smelly grass! In the blink of an eye the dogs dissapeared wich i found odd. However not complaining too much they they had gone we swiftly went the other side of the gate. All seemed well and we thought we had a lucky escape so we quickly checked the dogs they were both very shaken especally Sasha who was stood shaking. Then we looked at poor Sparky Some where in the confusion one of the dogs had managed to bite him. Poor little Sparky he just wanted to be friends.
Then the woman with the dogs (or should i say minus the dogs at this point) came over and accused us of starting it. When we said about Sparky all she said was 'oh well these things happen and you should have let your dogs play with mine their not dangerous' and walked off. I was so angry. Now like i said i dont mind these dogs but if they are going to do that they should be on a lead or have a muzzle on. She obviously had not taken the time to think that there may be a problem and had just let them go and now poor Sparky is in the vets having stitches as i type.
But what do you do in a situation like that? Can my friend claim any money for the vets bills? We know where this woman lives and she has had 3 dogs removed by the RSPCA already. We know it wasnt Sasha who bit Sparky as she was trying to jump the gate and get away so it had to be one of her dogs i am just so angry as now it has put both our dogs training back a step.
I hate inconciderate dog owners!!!!
Sorry its such a long rant but im so annoyed about it
Cookies and chocolate for anyone who got this far
xxxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Firstly, I claim my cookies and chocolate.

Secondly, sadly, I don't thing there's any recourse financially. You can report this woman to the dog warden, the police and the parks department. I'm not sure what else you can do.

I can totally understand your anger. I would be absolutely steaming.

I'm not a sexist, and no wilting flower, but wouldn't dream of taking three SBTs and a Rottie out on my own. I'm not surprised she couldn't handle them all.

Stupid woman.....

Hope your and your friend's dog recover ok, and big hugs to you all

x0x
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 07:56 AM
SAdly there are just too many owners who are so inconsiderate as to let their dogs off when they have no recall.

If you have a dog warden, I would report it to them. I would also take photos of the damage done and keep a copy of the vet's bill.
If no joy from the dog warden, I would report it to the police.

How much will get done, I am not sure - it seems very much to depend on the person you report it to.

I hope Sparky makes a full recovery and isn't left with a fear of larger dogs *hugs*
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-09-2008, 08:18 AM
If you have a dog warden then report it, and as you say you know where she lives I would get a solicitor to send her a letter asking for payment of the vets bill and quoting the relevant part of the Dangerous dogs act. I think the breed of dogs involved is irrelevant but it what happened isn't.
I'd be pretty pi**ed off too.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 08:53 AM
i hope sparky makes a full recovery.it really annoys me when we (sams mum and myself) put our dogs on leads and keep them in check when theres other owners who just dont give a damm. as others have said re[port her to the dog warden and the rspca they will be interested in whats shes up to with that many dogs not in control.
good luck.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
I agree you could report it to the police or dog warden.....how far they will take it I don't know, but I'd still do it.

Here where we live I find even having your dogs off lead (which I do) doesn't help. When owner have dogs that they can not really control they will still go for others....play or not. I've had this happen to Skye a couple of times.
I've even had the same accussations too ''Your dog started it by running away ''Your dog submitted which is why mine........blah blah You just can not win with these people, it is thier own frustration that they have NO CONTROL which makes them shift the blame...............

Hope the little one is ok.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Oh poor sparky I hope they are both ok and that their training isn't damaged too much. I would be fuming too.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 11:54 AM
mmm cookies and chocolate,,,yum,

so sorry you had a horrid experiance, as the owner of four rotties it angers me when others that own the breed dont control there dogs in public, the same could be said of staffie owners there are so many good owners out there it only takes one diddy to wreck peoples view of either breed

xx hugs xx
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-09-2008, 11:59 AM
To echo vicky a little bit, i'm 6 foot three and am on the rugby team (i.e built like a brick s*** house) and i don't think I could even take out three sbt's and a rottie and not be flat on my **** if they weren't under total control!
I feel for you and your friend and any distress caused, sometimes other peoples common sense goes a right miss!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
I feel for you, so many times people think its ok to let their dog run about out of control. Just this morning I veered off down to the other side of the field when I saw a renowned what looks like a greyhound cross something bulky come onto the field. It then ended up attacking someone elses dog. I was to far away to help nor did I want to take mine anywhere near. The owner of the other dog managed to get it off and it walked away so fingers crossed isnt to physically hurt. The owner of the dog in question just stands and watches or walks away.

While this was going on we were as usual joined by the owners other dog a greyhound, but as I put mine in a sit so it has nothing to chase it tends to move on quite quickly! He's a lovely friendly dog this one, but runs amock over the whole park!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >