Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 01:36 PM

Something that annoys me.....

Having a shop I get a lot of people asking if there are any jobs going.

Fair enough, but what annoys me is when parents ask for their kids.
If a kid wants to work in a shop, with the public, they need to be able to ask for a job!

Just had a phonecall from a lady, she said she has a 16(!) year old daughter, and do we have any Saturday/after school jobs going.
Sorry, but a 16 year old should be able to think and act for herself, especially when a job is concerned!

May sound nasty, but even if I had any jobs going, I wouldn't give a job to someone who couldn't come, or phone and enquire themselves.

Rant over
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh I agree. My son who is 17 and still at college did a paper round from the age of 13 to 16 and then worked at a stud farm for a year and then applied to Woolworths where he has been for the last four weeks. All of the jobs he applied for himself and he even typed his own CV. If nothing else, it gives them more confidence to know they have acheived something for themselves.

I wouldn't employ someone whos parent had been and asked about a job for them. If they're not brave enough to do that then how are they going to cope with interviews and actually working. I truely believe parents do more harm than good when they continue to do everything for their kids. The greatest gift you can give your kids is confidence.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 02:23 PM
OMG I so know what you mean!

The worst was one of ricks colleagues asking him if i would give his daughter a job?

As if he would say " You know what its not my shop but hell, she can start on saturday"!!!!!

They didnt leave me any details etc...so no not a chance!!!

if a teen came in and spoke to me themselves and seemed confident i may keep her details....

Also

If i had a job going do they not think i may actually advertise in the window???????

arghhhhh rant over!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post

Also

If i had a job going do they not think i may actually advertise in the window???????

arghhhhh rant over!
I know!
Thats exactly what I did....hence now there are no jobs going!!!!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 02:35 PM
i get the impression they think we are some community service! esp the area im in...half of them have babies or criminal records by 14!!! as if!!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 02:56 PM
The other side of that is, isn't it nice to know that the parent is sufficiently interested in where and what their children are doing?
My Grand daughter (16) got herself a job, but before she started the restaurant owner asked to meet her parents. Good for the employer and for the parents I thought.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
The other side of that is, isn't it nice to know that the parent is sufficiently interested in where and what their children are doing?
My Grand daughter (16) got herself a job, but before she started the restaurant owner asked to meet her parents. Good for the employer and for the parents I thought.
Thats fine......
The girl I employed came with her Mum to hand her CV in.

I just think parents asking and trying to apply for the kids is wrong - it's hard enough trying to have confidence, but even harder when you do nothing for yourself.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 03:01 PM
And what about those kids such as my Luke,who finds conversation & communication difficult.He lacks in self confidence and is quite shy and has special needs.

It's not always a case of the kids can't be bothered!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 03:02 PM
If you can't ask for a job yourslf, whats the point in trying to get a job with the public?

My Mum certainly would not have asked for a job for me! She would have taken me to interviews (which she has done many times), and even met prospective employers, but not ask for a job for me!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
And what about those kids such as my Luke,who finds conversation & communication difficult.He lacks in self confidence and is quite shy and has special needs.

It's not always a case of the kids can't be bothered!
Then surely you would explain that in a phone call,or go with him to ask for a job?

You need a certain degree of confidence to work in a shop, and whilst I have no problem with special needs etc, I couldn't employ a person who would be unable to talk to customers in public especially this type of shop, in a village, where the customers want to chat, not just buy things and move on - and coming and asking for a job yourself, weather on your own or with parents shows that first bit of confidence.

It's the parents doing the asking that I don't like....sorry!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >