Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 10:31 AM

How long can it take dogs system to get used to a new food

Me again....
I've been trying to look this up on the web with no joy. How long can it take a dogs system to get used to a new food? I had a chat with the lady in the pet shop and she says it can take 2-3 months and the dogs symptoms may get worse before they get better and so even though poor Mya is scratching so much I should stick to the sensitive lamb and rice for another month or so yet before changing.
Just wondered what your opinions were on this. Just can't bear to see poor little Mya so itchy and making herself bleed! Though I know with changing over to a new food slowly would take time to adjust anyway I just don't know what to do for the best
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Can you tell me what food you are feeding and how long she has been on it. Also what treats if any you are giving.
Sorry I may have missed previous posts about it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 11:48 AM
I had a GSD with allergies and she improved almost immediately. I don`t see why it should take that long - if you remove what the system is allergic to the relief should be almost immediatete, I`d have thought (I`m not qualified I must add - just going on experience)
Have you tried the elimination test? Only feed one food (chicken or whatever - watch to see if there is a reaction. If there is, change it. If not, add another food. Dogs can be allergic to rice, remember
My GSD was allergic to cereals, colouring, fleas (cat as well as dog fleas) and certain pollens. We found this all over the years and finally managed to get on top of it, though she did have a long-acting anti-histamine injection in summer to help.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Sorry - just re-read your post. I`m sure the lady in the pet shop is lovely but I would prefer advice from a nutritionist or vet, personally!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 12:11 PM
You are right claireanddaisy, but so is the lady in the pet shop.
When I done my course and exams in dog and cat nutrition we were taught that it can take 2 months for the problems caused by the old food to get right out of the system.
However, in my personal experience with one of my own that suffers several bad allergies and other peoples when the source is taken away normally within 48 hrs they seem much improved.
So if you took away the food ingredient causing the problem you should notice a marked improvement within 48hrs, but to see if you have 100% improvement that can take 2 months.
So many people make the mistake of getting the food right yet still feed treats containing ingredients that the dog is intolerant too. So everything has to change.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Thank you both. She's on supadog wellbeing kind and sensitive and she's been on it for 5 weeks now. The itching has definitely got worse over the past week, although today her poops are the best I've ever seen them! Sorry for the description!
She's on evening primrose tablets recommended by the vet and has some Epi Sooth shampoo.
Do you think I should stick with it another few weeks then to see?
Sorry edited to say re treats, gravy bones or bonios and I stuff their kongs with various things like scrambled egg, pasta, chappie tinned meat, fruit/veg. Mya also gets either hotdog sausages or mattersons garlic sausage as training treats.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I know you're doing the best possible for your poor itchy dog, but please don't think that you're going to get an overnight reaction with the scratching purely by changing the food. Whatever your plans are you need to change to a Hypoallergenic food and sooner rather than later. Apparently, unlike with horses, you don't need to slowly introduce new foods to a dog's diet, you can just change it straight away, so why wait in all honestly??

I have a severely itchy dog, he was born with it, he's now rising 9, he's lived a life on steroid injections or pills, sometimes he's worse than others, sometimes his ears flare up with infections, sometimes he eats a whole leg raw in half an hour, a total nightmare! He's had all the allergy tests known to man in his past life and it turns out he's allergic to just about everything on the planet, so I don't want you to raise any false hopes that a change in diet is going to miraculously cure him. I hope it does, but don't pin all your hopes on it!

If you can do it, I would suggest an initial bath in pure Hibiscrub which is cheap (Boots the chemist sell it from their pharmacy dept) and it will kill just about anything on his skin. Keep him regularly (once a month) de-flead with a good treatment that kills mites also. Groom every single day, and use a combe to finish. Don't use anything on his skin apart from special skin treatment shampoos, but I usually stick to the Hibiscrub coz it works for my dog.

Good luck, you just have to try everything and food is as good a place as any to start, but remember, it's got to be a hypoallergenic. One thing I will add, the vet who had treated my dog for the first 7 years told me I was NEVER to change him from the Wafcol Salmon and Potato food because salmon has something very special in it which calms down the skin, apart from the essential oils of course. I don't know whether you've tried that? I took my dog off that because of his awful loose poo's, and I've now found something else. Horses for courses, and good luck!
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I know you're doing the best possible for your poor itchy dog, but please don't think that you're going to get an overnight reaction with the scratching purely by changing the food. Whatever your plans are you need to change to a Hypoallergenic food and sooner rather than later. Apparently, unlike with horses, you don't need to slowly introduce new foods to a dog's diet, you can just change it straight away, so why wait in all honestly??

Thank you Helena. I know, I don't expect an immediate change but just worry it's taking so long and got worse, but I can understand what the lady in the pet shop said. The reason I haven't just changed straight away is I've always been advised to do this slowly with a dog with a delicate digestion, have I been wrongly advised?

I have a severely itchy dog, he was born with it, he's now rising 9, he's lived a life on steroid injections or pills, sometimes he's worse than others, sometimes his ears flare up with infections, sometimes he eats a whole leg raw in half an hour, a total nightmare! He's had all the allergy tests known to man in his past life and it turns out he's allergic to just about everything on the planet, so I don't want you to raise any false hopes that a change in diet is going to miraculously cure him. I hope it does, but don't pin all your hopes on it!

If you can do it, I would suggest an initial bath in pure Hibiscrub which is cheap (Boots the chemist sell it from their pharmacy dept) and it will kill just about anything on his skin. Keep him regularly (once a month) de-flead with a good treatment that kills mites also. Groom every single day, and use a combe to finish. Don't use anything on his skin apart from special skin treatment shampoos, but I usually stick to the Hibiscrub coz it works for my dog.

Thank you, I will get some Hibiscrub, never thought of that.

Good luck, you just have to try everything and food is as good a place as any to start, but remember, it's got to be a hypoallergenic. One thing I will add, the vet who had treated my dog for the first 7 years told me I was NEVER to change him from the Wafcol Salmon and Potato food because salmon has something very special in it which calms down the skin, apart from the essential oils of course. I don't know whether you've tried that? I took my dog off that because of his awful loose poo's, and I've now found something else. Horses for courses, and good luck!
Yes, I've tried the Wafcol Salmon and potato, poos were not perfect but ok and the itching was alot better, probably the best food I've tried and the only reason I changed was because the 15kg sack was only lasting 2 weeks and 2 days which worked out v expensive for me, but to be honest I think I need to revert back to this for Mya. Freddie has been fine on the kind and sensitive so this should keep the monthly cost down a bit at least.

Do you think I'm ok just to switch Mya straight over to this then?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I would say most definitely "yes" to that! I've chopped and changed with my itchy dog over the years with no bad reactions. My other dog had to be changed over to a special food once because of her diarrhea, and the vet told me to do it immediately, he said it doesn't matter about introducing it, so I'd take the bull by the horns and just do it.

Shame about the Salmon and Potato, but a bag of that would last me a whole month with Georgie and he weighs 46 kgs!!!! How big is your dog??? That's a lot of food! Do you mean the very large bag they do, around £37 worth???? Maybe you're talking about the smaller one coz I can't believe it only lasts 2 weeks!!!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2008, 12:36 PM
I would definatly change the food immeadiatly like Helena54 says to Wafcol Salmon and Potatoe. Your food contains Lamb which can cause problems and some dogs do react to rice.
I would not be feeding tinned Chappie in the kong as that contains cereals which will be wheat/gluten and i think (but can't be sure without seeing a tin) that hot dog sausages contain cereals.
Anything that says cereals on the pack avoid like the plague for now as that is invariably wheat based.
You need to do a real exclusion diet for now and be very strict for a while.
Make your Kongs with soaked Wafcol Salmon and potatoe stuffed in and frozen. Do not give anything else for a week at least and see if there is an improvement.
Have you ruled out enviromental allergies like carpet freshners, soap powders, air freshners including the plug ins?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >