Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 07:54 PM

Advice needed

Beau is a lovely natured and calm pup but I have noticed once or twice that he has had a rumble when he is in the car and someone tries to move him. There does not appear to be any intent in him more of letting us know he doesn't want to move as he did with his litter mates.
It is not a problem at the moment and I don't know if it would become one but I want to deal with it before he gets bigger.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you xx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Not too sure Lorna to be honest, hopefully other's may have some idea's
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm a little unsure and can't quite picture what you mean! Is it when you take him out of the car/put himinto the car or during a journey?? Where does he travel in the carand how is he restrained?
It could be he is a little unsure of what is going on or a little unsure of the car...both are easily remedied at such a young age!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Not too sure Lorna to be honest, hopefully other's may have some idea's
Thanks xx
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I'm a little unsure and can't quite picture what you mean! Is it when you take him out of the car/put himinto the car or during a journey?? Where does he travel in the carand how is he restrained?
It could be he is a little unsure of what is going on or a little unsure of the car...both are easily remedied at such a young age!
He is traveling on the back seat with a seatbelt harness on. He isn't all that keen on going in the car but doesn;t resist. If he is already in the car and one of the boys gets in and has to move him then he has just, the only word I can think of is rumble (its not a growl).
I have given the boys treats to give him when they get in the car so he associates it with a nice experience but because this is the first dog we have had since having the boys, I don't want to make any mistakes.

I hope this makes more sense?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Yes!
How is he when the car moves??What does he do?

It sounds like he is a little unsure about the whole car thing, could you try feeding him in there and all that sort of thing and only going on short journeys to nice places?

Giving the boys a treat is a good idea, do they leave him alone when they are in the back with him?

Could the pup go in after the boys are already in and seatbelted up?
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Once he is settled he will sleep and the boys on the whole leave him alone.
I tried putting him in last today but he still doesn't like to be moved to fasten the seatbelt.
I will keep on giving him the treats and hope fully that will work. Other than that he is so good and easy going.

Thanks Hun xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 09:51 PM
How do you ahve to attach the seat belt? Is there a way of dropping the treats on the seat itself whilst you fiddle with it? It might distract him?

If not, you could take the whole thing out of context and pop the harness thing on in the house and fiddle round with it in a similar way tot he way you have to do it in the car?

You could teach him how to adopt the right position, so to speak, without the harness on, so if he has to sit close to the seat back...you could practise on the sofa, by a wall, that sort of thing, lavishing lots of praise on every time you do it, keep a high reward treat ONLY for the times that you are doing car seat stuff...if you see what I mean.

Hope it helps. I'm sure others will come up with better ideas!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks again, lots of stuff to try I think cheese is the way to go

You're a star xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
No probs! Just hope one of the ideas works!!!! Keep us posted!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi Lionhound how old is Beau and how old are the boys . Does he do it when the boys are not in the car as well. Is the someone just the boys or others too?.

Can't really add a lot to Rambles post except to add..
you say..

Beau is a lovely natured and calm pup but I have noticed once or twice that he has had a rumble when he is in the car and someone tries to move him.
I agree with Ramble about Beau being unsure and maybe a little fearful.
Is the harness ok, not too tight or catching anywhere like on a sore place .

I would try to habituate Beau to the harness by putting it on at other 'pleasant' times like before a walk or play and putting him in and out of the car with the harness on and maybe feeding him there always giving lots of reassuring praise in a bright voice when he is quiet .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >