Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 06:50 PM

How Much....

roadwalking do you do with your dogs to get them/keep them in fit show condition.
I am restricted to on lead exercise with my boys and just wondered how much everyone else does?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 06:53 PM
I guess it depends on age, breed, then individual dogs, just like people some dogs seem to be easyer to keep fit than others, I had an ongoing battle of the buldge with my rottie royce, yet kaos has always been easy to keep in tip top condition, x
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 06:59 PM
I do anything between a half hour to two hours.Just depends on how many people I meet while out.I also walk up and down hills with mines,suppose thats the good thing about the area I live in as I'm surrounded by pretty steep walks,xxxxxxxxxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't do road walking as a routine, they may get the odd trip along the road but I much prefer free running exercise to keep them in condition.
Becky
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I don't do road walking as a routine, they may get the odd trip along the road but I much prefer free running exercise to keep them in condition.
Becky

I would love to free run my dogs BUT the elks and my shiba bitch are too interested in hunting(breed instinct) to be reliable off lead and I would rather be safe than sorry:smt002
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I vary Marius' exercise routine to include a 20 min road walk some days and others a good time off-lead playing fetch.

He gets out at least twice daily, but I try now to limit the amount of time he is out as opinions varied that I was doing too much exercise for his age! :smt002
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-02-2008, 07:59 PM
My lot all get free running exercise.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 08:38 PM
My first "show" breeder said Dalmatians should get 20 minutes a day road work to maintain the topline, free running the rest of the time. If you consider how racehorses (and sports horses) and greyhounds are trained, they all subscribe to the theory that slow road work builds muscle not charging about and a good deal of their exercise is walking or trotting. Seems to work for mine.
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Well, I had this in my copy paste from the puppy exercise thread. Relevant here too!
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/fitness.html
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Think dogs that are shown need both free and controlled exercise. When I was showing seriously I walked my Elks for about one hour a day in a controlled manner on a lead and on hard ground as well as free running exercise about three times a day. However with some breeds one needs a secure area to allow safe free running, and if that is not available then extending leads are the only answer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >