Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2008, 02:39 PM

Paper or paint?

Right trying to decide if with the hall, stairs and landing I repaper (already wallpaper on) or remove the paper and get it plastered then paint it?????any thoughts. There is no window on the stairs or landing but a little light coming in from the front door glass and the glass either side. ie its UPVC door you know with lass either side then door in centre.

Any thoughts and if so any pics of something you've seen and liked or better still done yourself.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Depends on your budget really Kazz? You can remove the paper yourself, but you'll need a good plasterer to plaster the walls and that is very expensive nowadays, to get a good job done it is anyway, and a hallway is quite a noticeable area, especially if you have great big high hallway going up to the roof at the bottom of the stairs like we do now?

Your cheaper option is to remove wallpaper and paper again isn't it. I would get some prices from local plasters maybe before you even remove the wallpaper just to give you an idea, coz believe me, it is very expensive to do such a large area! Hope that helps somewhat.
amethystbelle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I agree it depends on how much you want to spend and how long you mind any disruption for. Also if you have fresh plaster you have to have watered down paint for so long so the plaster can breathe and may need a few coats of paint to get it right where as with paper you can just pop it up and its instant. I agree maybe get some quotes and see what they say, might help you make your mind up either way
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2008, 03:34 PM
It will probably be cheaper to re-paper, as once the original paper is removed the plaster can be in bit of a state.

I like paper, it gives depth and texture, however a painted surface will be more hard wearing, and easily washed down.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Well we've just done the inside of ours and went with a 3rd option for the walls...wood cladding. The house is old and the walls aren't perfect so for the front room, stairs and landing we did wood cladding below the dado rail, a border above and paint above that. May not be to everyone's taste but it's a cottage style house so looks lovely. Attached some pics so you could get an idea. Was done in a couple of days and hides a multitude of sins LOL

May at least give you some ideas. xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
however a painted surface will be more hard wearing, and easily washed down.
This is exactly the reason I have paint, and not wallpaper.

My walls and ceilings are Artexed - I'm pretty sure I'm one of the very few people that actually still like this......

Also, if I get fed up with the colour, I can change it really easily.

Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2008, 04:57 PM
If you go down the route of striped the walls of your existing paper, don't forget you will need to put up 1400 Grade lining paper first before hanging your new wallpaper.

Lining paper goes horizontal whereas wallpaper goes vertical.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2008, 06:29 PM
how about putting up a textured paper that can be painted therefore you can then add a washable paint on it and have the best of both worlds?
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
how about putting up a textured paper that can be painted therefore you can then add a washable paint on it and have the best of both worlds?
Good idea Alex, I've got wood-chip all over the house, and it hides all the imperfections on the plaster walls, it's so easy to keep re-decorating too.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Good idea Alex, I've got wood-chip all over the house, and it hides all the imperfections on the plaster walls, it's so easy to keep re-decorating too.
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

not woodchip! its soooo hard to get off in the future!......

but just a nice textured (spongy feeling) paper.

Alex
xx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >