Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sasdax
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2007, 07:47 PM

Wireless printer

I took advantage of the PC World sale and got a Toshiba laptop, wireless enabled and a wireless Lexmark printer. I have manged to install the software that the printer will work fine with a USB cable but for the life of me I cannot fathom out the wireless networking side of it. There seems to be so many options and keeps on about Wep keys and passwords?? Where do I find these.
Can someone point me in the right direction of what I should be doing, those Techguys have not been much help yet
Cheers
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi,

first question I need to ask is, do you have a wireless network at home?

The WEP key is a type of security used for wireless networking.

I haven't got a wireless printer, but use a printer through a wireless hub, and for that I just follwed the instructions which included connecting to the wireless router.

I know this doesn't help, but if you could let me know about how you connect to internet, and what type of security on your wireless network if you have one.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-12-2007, 04:14 PM
WEP keys are what you provide to the router/ laptop to encrypt your signal.....the only modems i know of that come with encryption enabled is BT Home hub & Sky modem/ routers that the user does not choose.

It seems to what i have read is that you need to have a wireless router bleow is from the lexmark site

start wireless printing
Sasdax
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2008, 07:54 AM
I have the setup through an orange Live Box. The laptop is working 100% wirelessly. The printer is setup as per the CD has the WEP key, recognises the Live Box but at the last install of finding the network it can't find it. It works fine through the USB cable. I have tried the wizard but although the printer is on the laptop the wizard can not find it.
It is so frustrating, I am really not that bothered as I don't print that much and it is no big deal taking the laptop to the printer but I hate it when something won't work properly.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2008, 08:30 AM
So if i'm reading this right the set up disk for the printer provides a wep key.

If that is the case then you'll have to input that in to the boxes that comes up when you try and connect to the printer if you do not do this then you will not be able to connect because the printer is sending a encrypted signal and the wep code is the key.

This has also brought to light that your wirless signal that you use to the internet in not encrypted either and it should be other wise your neighbours/ or anyone outside your house with a laptop can use your internet connection for their own use without you knowing about it.
Sasdax
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I am not explaining this very well. The software for the printer asks for the laptop WEP key then asks if it is Live Box 2???. Which is correct. Then its says connecting to the network but comes back as cannot find. A friend was around last night whose phone picks up networks, he found it but said it was locked. Maybe one thing I have got right
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2008, 05:28 PM
When you look at the wireless networks that are available on your laptop next your connection has it got security - enabled wireless network?
If not then you are not encrypted and no key for the set up disk.

What happens when you say no that live box 2 is not your wep key?