Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 09:22 AM

Puppy Vaccinations

Following on from another thread I decided to start a new one.
First of all the title is puppy vaccinations as I don't want this thread to become a debate about boosters, this is about the initial course of puppy jabs.
My vet recommends the pups are vaccinated at 8 weeks and 10 weeks and are then allowed on the ground one week after the last jab. They are happy for them to be carried around in the meantime although they do stress this isn't risk free.
I feel having puppies vaccinated is all part and parcel of responsible dog ownership,I feel very strongly that people should not have the choice on whether their pups are vaccinated or not (controversial I know) unless there is an OBVIOUS and specific to that pup, medical reason not to. I think that it is vital to the health of the general dog population, of which we are all a part and therefore have some responsibility to.

What do others think?
As I say this is not meant to be a thread about boosters, nor is it a thread about Kennel Cough Vaccines, just a thread about basic puppy vaccinations. :smt002
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I agree! I think all puppies should recieve their puppy vaccinations unless, as you say, there is a specific medical reason not to do so.
I personally feel that the reason 'homeopathic nosodes' work as well as they do is because by far the vast majority of dogs are vaccinated, you only have to go to areas where vaccines aren't given as routine to see the impact on young pups with Parvo etc.
I wish as a breeder I could give vaccinations but sadly vets don't look at what you've done then give the poor pup another full dose which i do not feel is good for the puppy!
Becky
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2007, 10:25 AM
I agree with vaccinating puppies but certainly don't think it should be mandatory. I think we should have the freedom to choose just as we do with our children.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 10:55 AM
totally agree with ramble and mahooli

can someone explain to me about this every 3 year vaccination - ???? im not going to start a debate about it but im intrested to learn more about it.....
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Nero got his first jab at 8 weeks and as you've said, another at 10 weeks, he was never taken outwith our premises until 12 weeks old.
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Both of mine had their first vaccinations at 8 weeks, second at ten weeks.
They were taken out and about everyday (carried) until it was safe for them to be let down.
I had them both vaccinated through choice and because I think it is the responsible thing to do but the key word is choice.
I do not believe it is right to force others to do as I do because I think it is right.

My children are also vaccinated, including being given BCG as babies which I had to request again for various reasons because this was my choice and my decision as a parent but I do not have the right to insist that other parents do as I do.

Whilst I agree that vaccination of a desired percentage is essential for the health of the general population (canine and human ) to gain "herd immunity" education is the key to this not in some way forcing people against their will
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
can someone explain to me about this every 3 year vaccination - ???? im not going to start a debate about it but im intrested to learn more about it.....
The 3yr vaccination came about because of pressure on the vet community. America doesn't vaccinate as much as we do and animal groups said we are over vaccinating here (for increased income).

The 3 year in Scotland has been going for some time now. The dog is vaccinated every year but instead of everything together, as was previously done, they now split up the vaccine* so that you get a different live virus every year and then in year four it cycles to year 1 again.

The real reason behind this is that firstly there is data that proves that once a dog is vaccinated it is immune for life (a minority are not), so it is futile and can be dangerous to vaccinate too much.The second reason is that vets like to see your dog every year to make sure it is in good health and an annual checkup (that you feel you have to go to for the vaccine) is a good idea as most people don't know when there dog is ill. (Present company excluded most likely!)
--------------
*you are less likely to have unwanted side effects if you split up the vaccine (give less live virus at once.)
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 12:00 PM
With Skye Beau they had there first vacines at 8 weeks but Lady did not recieve hers till she was 12 weeks as the breeder didnt give her them and i only bought her at 12 weks or there abouts (that long ago cant quite remember )
But i agree with Ramble and Mahooli vaccines are extremley important and all responsible dog owners should have there dogs vacccinated and boostered every year xxdk
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 12:42 PM
I agree with most things there should be choice, I am not pro a nanny state...but I think it is irresponsible of a minority to 'choose' to not vaccinate, if we all did that the diseases would be rife....and the more that don't the more there is a risk to EVERY dog, therefore I think it should be mandatory, just as it is manadatory to wear ID on a collar. My dream of a national dog registry would include info on puppy vaccs. Why should people be able to get away with not vaccinating when other more responsible people do it...yet their dogs are still at risk?
My son had the MMR....he got measles....measles is on the up because people choose not to have their children immunised. IMO my son was vERY ill thanks to that growing minority of people,having been through that (he was very ill, but not as ill as he would have been without the MMR) I do not want to go though the same with my dog as well...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2007, 01:00 PM
We may think it irresponsible but if they make an informed choice and still decide not to vaccinate then I still believe that is their decision to make.
I personnally chose not to have the whooping cough vaccine for my children, I agonised over that decision and held firm against immense pressure. I knew it was a risk but it was a well researched decision, and luckily it worked out ok.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >