Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-04-2005, 10:27 AM

stop season injection

Has anyone heard of an Injection which you can give to a bitch to delay her season?

Are they safe? I was wondering as Lola's coming up to 7 months but in September we are going on holiday with the family and they have a couple of male dogs, and knowing our luck Lola would probably come into season in the middle of the holiday.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2005, 10:31 AM
http://www.vetstreamfelis.co.uk/Corp...5Cv29c1850.htm

I would be wary of artificially juggling with seasons. But consult your veterinarian for professional advise.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Hello afc101,
It is not just one injection, but a course over a 5month time period, I personally do not believe in them, as it seems very unatural to tamper the the females ovulation, but in certain circumstances some people don't have a choice.
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-04-2005, 10:39 AM
thanks Shadowboxer, Its not something I really want to consider as I've never heard of this before and I wouldn't know if it could cause any long term effects. If the worst happened and she came into season I would probably take her home as we are only going to the coast this year. I spoke to the breader a little while ago, (who happens to live where we would be going on holiday) and she told me they useally come into season older than she will be in September but it's not unheard of them coming into season earlier
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I used it, some time back and in fact it was only one injection? I had booked for a Working rallie in Aviemore Scotland, and Willow had just started her season, when we were due to go, which meant I couldnt run her, I spoke to my vets explaining that at a later date I was considering breeding from her, and was assured, that it shouldnt really effect her later on, I used it (once) her following season, was irratic, the one after that was a blind season(no bleeding) so didnt realise she had come in, the one after that was fine, the one after that I bred. I would NEVER go back down that rout again personally. I certainly wouldnt use it on a bitches first heat.

MO
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Daisys had it too and it was only 1 jab, she was fine afterwards no probs at all
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Used it once, years ago when a suprise season started just at the same time as a walking holiday in Scotland. Went to a vet up there, one jab, sorted.
Can't recall any issues with later seasons or any problems.

So, you don't have to do it 'before you go, just in case', as long as you can get to a vet you can stop the season as it starts.

Hope that helps!
pretty lady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Personnally don't think we would have considered lady having this injection. Have to say though, we were lucky, lady had a her season every nine months although they did carry on for an extra week. We had her spayed last month, so no more seasons! Good lucK with your decision