Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Opinions please...

My Son Charlie has just turned 15.
Up til now the mention of girls either got him puking or in early teenage years, a frown, as if to say 'Mum don't go there'.

Recently he got a phonecall. Now he never gets phonecalls at home as he sees all his friends. But it was a girl!

Now I still got a bit of a frown of him when I first asked who she was.

She rings most days and they can spend ages on the phone.

I keep getting 'she's just a friend', but he is walking on air, and smiling. Something Charlie doesn't normally do a lot, being a typical 15 year old boy lol.

I ask him to do something, and he does it too... amazing!

So do we think she's just a friend, or more????

I've not had to deal with this with Charlie before.

Btw, he last saw her in junior school, but she moved away, not far though.... and they've been talking on Bebo etc.
He keeps saying she's coming round after school, on her bike or the train, but it's 10miles away and I've said no she'll never do that, by the time she gets here it'll be time to go home! She never has, but I have said if she wants to come round I'll happily go and pick her up and take her home as I'm not having a 14/15 year old girl travelling on her own at night when I can pick her up. I'd be happier, nevermind what her parents might think.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Too right Becky!!! No way should a 15yr. old girl be out on her own after dark!!! Never in a million years!!!!

Awww, bless, it must be lovely for you to see this sudden change in your Charlie, all loved up!!! Trouble is, he won't want you anywhere near her will he, just in case you happen to say the wrong thing!!! i.e. something about him in his younger days or perish the thought, get the photo albums out!!! Now that's a definite no-no!!! Enjoy your new Charlie!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 07:19 PM
bless!!!

id never bring a lad home for my folks to meet - my folks always promised to never give them the third degree but omg they always did - without fail!!!!

as for her walking on her own etc - id pick her up - i never go out at tnight unless in with a dog or three lol!!!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 07:24 PM
It's quite possibly just a friend.

My 10 year old has had a Girl 'Friend' for a long time, in fact he's at her house now for tea, due home soon. They have been friends for ages, even though both of them have had crushes on other people at school and talk to each other about them ...lol

I know they're not the same age, but they can form friendships that are just that.

If she is a "Girlfriend" I would ask if you could only be involved with regards to making sure she gets home safe and sound.

It's nice when they find someone special and you see a whole new side to them
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 07:26 PM
I think you have to accept the good friends line and he will tell you when he is ready. Maybe it is good frinds still but he is hoping for more? Who knows? I would help in all the practical ways so that he knows you have his/her best interests at heart. It will pay dividends in years to come, if he feels respected he will keep on respecting you.
I am not trying to teach you to suck eggs, I am sure you will do this anyway.

Have fun with Charlie and L`amour. We have this all to come...
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
It's quite possibly just a friend.

My 10 year old has had a Girl 'Friend' for a long time, in fact he's at her house now for tea, due home soon. They have been friends for ages, even though both of them have had crushes on other people at school and talk to each other about them ...lol

I know they're not the same age, but they can form friendships that are just that.

If she is a "Girlfriend" I would ask if you could only be involved with regards to making sure she gets home safe and sound.

It's nice when they find someone special and you see a whole new side to them

My son is 10 and we have this too. They even sleepover, albeit it in diff. rooms.....I think it a wonderful way for them to learn the workings of the opposite sex and to learn to respect each other.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Awwwwww i loved being that age and feeling like that.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 07:30 PM
If she is so far away I would say they are just good friends but you know yourself when you really like someone, sounds like he has a bit of a crush on her and her too if she wants to come all that way on her bike or train, so my opinion is they are just friends but maybe they are both hoping it might turn into something a bit more special?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Well he's gone round the corner to the club for 'a gig'

'You do know what a gig is don't you Mum?'
Yes, Charlie

...'and mosh pits'
Yes, Charlie

He's got to be home by 9.30, as I don't let him hang around on streets. If he is actually at somewhere thats not so much a problem.

She rang again tonight before he left. I get the feeling she may have the crush on him.
'Mum, she's annoying, she laughs at almost anything, even when I dropped my alarm clock?'
Ah ha, I thought, we've all been at the silly giggly stage.

As for the dreaded pics of when he was young? Everyone's already seen those lol

I've always tried to be the approachable Mum to his friends, if you know what I mean? If he has friends round and they are hungry, I'll get them a pizza. If they want lifts, I'll take them. It means they all say hello to me and also talk to me like a friend. I'd rather have kids here and safe than hanging round on street corners as although I know they are good kids, I try to explain to them that some people get threatened by groups of teens just doing nothing.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
Well he's gone round the corner to the club for 'a gig'

'You do know what a gig is don't you Mum?'
Yes, Charlie

...'and mosh pits'
Yes, Charlie

:smt042 because of course these things didn't exist when we were younger :smt042
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >