Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-09-2007, 03:05 PM

dog chewed dog flap off TWICE!

What is the best way to stop your dog chewing? my sbt is now just over 9 months old and has just eaten his way through another dog flap! i'm now left with another big gap in my door i've tried chew sprays but he licks them up i'm thinking that the only other way is to keep him crated which would be a last resort as i like him to play in the garden during the day. Just don't know what is the next step to take? also does anyone know where i can get a replacement flap? think it's staywell? or something like that from pah. Thanks.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi Kristian,

I always say if the damage is too great or you're concerned about your dog's safety, it's fairer to keep them crated.

Staffies are notorious for chewing and it sounds as though he's doing some real damage. How long are you out of the house for?

There are some dogs who would much prefer to be crated. They feel safer in their crate and don't feel the need to chew as much (because they chew through anxiety) so keeping him crated for short periods while you're not around may not be such a terrible option.
We like to think that this would be nice for them, that would be nice for them -but just because we think we'd like to have the opportunity to come and go as we please doesn't mean they do.

Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate long periods spent in crates but I have a friend who's beagle is about 5 now (maybe older) and still crated when she goes out, simply because he feels more secure. (Plus if you get a burglar, they're going to be less likely to think they need to defend themselves against the dog if it's not loose!)

Edit: Takara thought the chew sprays were somewhat tasty as well... thankfully she grew out of the chewing though.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2007, 03:21 PM
If you google replacement flaps for staywell loads of them come up. Depends what model you have.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Are you sure my Ebony hasn't been over to your house?

She watched my dad put a brand new aluminium £70 dog flap in and had chewed it within 5 minutes (the flap was plastic). I replaced it three times and gave up in the end, they just had to make do with a flap that let the rain and draft through the gaps where she had mis-shaped it.

As Lottie said, crates are an excellent idea if you're worried about the safety of your dog, however, I wouldn't go out to work or for an evening and leave one of mine crated purely because I worry about them being trapped in a fire or something.

I don't really know what to advise, they still chew things now and my oldest is 10 1/2 years old, but thats setters for you I just wanted to let you know you're not alone
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2007, 03:26 PM
If you like him to play in the garden while you're out could he not have access to a shed with bedding or an outdoor kennel during the day to save him going in the house and wrecking the flap.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2007, 03:35 PM
get the vick out and smear it all over the flap!
Becky
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
get the vick out and smear it all over the flap!
Becky
I've been thinking of doing this but won't it go all over him when he try's to get through the flap? made a make shift flap using tape and bits of old flap went out to work this morning and got home to a big hole in the door and flap in the garden again! as soon as i got home from work and looked at the hole in the door the dog went in his basket and put his head down i got up for work at 6:30 and the flap was still on and working and by the time my missus got up to get the kids ready for school at 7:45 it was in the garden? I take him for a walk every morning before i go to work and then when i come home! my o/h is here all day and lets him in the living room to play while she's here? it's getting cold now with a big hole in my kitchen door, what can i do?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by kristian View Post
I've been thinking of doing this but won't it go all over him when he try's to get through the flap? made a make shift flap using tape and bits of old flap went out to work this morning and got home to a big hole in the door and flap in the garden again! as soon as i got home from work and looked at the hole in the door the dog went in his basket and put his head down i got up for work at 6:30 and the flap was still on and working and by the time my missus got up to get the kids ready for school at 7:45 it was in the garden? I take him for a walk every morning before i go to work and then when i come home! my o/h is here all day and lets him in the living room to play while she's here? it's getting cold now with a big hole in my kitchen door, what can i do?
I've got a makeshift dog flap in the door in the dogs room at the moment as the door is rotten and needs replacing.To make the flap I got some cardboard, placed it inside a plastic dog food bag (they are very strong) and then taped it all over with black waterproof tape, then I screwed it to the outside of the door ensuring it covered the hole in the door. Its not brilliant but they go in and out of it, it keeps the draft out and they've not chewed it. Might be worth a try for your little devil, all I had to pay for was the tape which cost a couple of pound in Wilkinsons
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-09-2007, 07:18 PM
that is a good idea but the only thing is mine leads from my outhouse into my kitchen so i got the wind blasting in through the kitchen starting to get cold now so really starting to feel it am going to buy another one but i'm thinking that he's just going to do exactly the same again? any ideas on how to stop chewing?
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Hi Kristian,

I always say if the damage is too great or you're concerned about your dog's safety, it's fairer to keep them crated.

Staffies are notorious for chewing and it sounds as though he's doing some real damage. How long are you out of the house for?

There are some dogs who would much prefer to be crated. They feel safer in their crate and don't feel the need to chew as much (because they chew through anxiety) so keeping him crated for short periods while you're not around may not be such a terrible option.
We like to think that this would be nice for them, that would be nice for them -but just because we think we'd like to have the opportunity to come and go as we please doesn't mean they do.

Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate long periods spent in crates but I have a friend who's beagle is about 5 now (maybe older) and still crated when she goes out, simply because he feels more secure. (Plus if you get a burglar, they're going to be less likely to think they need to defend themselves against the dog if it's not loose!)

Edit: Takara thought the chew sprays were somewhat tasty as well... thankfully she grew out of the chewing though.
This is so true, we dont crate my labs, but their sleeping area, where thay are in the day is just big enough for them as they get very distressed and chew everything if they are given the freedom of the house.
Mine have a raw diet, so bones all the time, but if i ever dont they chew everthing else....BONES are my advice!