Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 06:41 PM

Toys!!

Hi, we will hopefully be getting our puppy soon, so I wondered if any of your dogs can recommend their favourite toys? Definites on my list are a puppy kong and something squeaky, as I know terriers love squeaky toys any other ideas? (also websites with nice toys would be appreciated)

Another question: I'm not too sure about crate sizes... Wire fox terriers are quite small, and I saw a crate which was 24x18x20"... will this be too small for him when he grows up? I'm just not sure about the size, but I'd rather get one that's a bit too big than a cramped one... I can always block off a bit of it while he's still growing?

lol shopping confuses me so any help will be greatly appreciated
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 06:44 PM
my dog loves most toys, but i found squeaky or soft toys can be dangerous if they pull them apart

now indie gets rope toys, which she loves cos she will just sit there pulling the string apart and she loves footballs, tennis balls, frisbys. We also have got her an activity ball which we fill up with treats and she rolls it round the floor to get it out
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 06:53 PM
I bought Bailey and Blue some nylabone keys from pets at home when they where pups, they where their favourite toy, they both loved them and would carry them around everywhere
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi Tuti, the cage might be a bit small, WHFT grow to about 15 to 15 1/2 inches at the withers and then add on the long neck and head, may be a bit low. Probably a good idea to ask the breeder what size of cage they recommend.

As for toys etc, I have one word for you......KONG!!!!! Kongs are an excellent invention, you can fill them with tons of different treats and you can freeze them for teething puppies.

I also think a ball on a rope is great toy idea for a terrier, Olive loves it when I drag it along the ground and under the furniture, and she has to give chase .
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 07:03 PM
haha, thanks for the replies, the kong was a definite already as I have seen how much dogs love playing with them.... ball on rope was on my maybe list, but i'll be getting one if i can find it olive, thanks for the suggestion

not sure about the rope toys though jenny, our last dog also used to pull the strings apart, but he used to swallow the strings!!! It's really unpleasant to have to pull string out of your dog's bum! :smt078

well anyway I've found a different crate which is 30" long 21" wide and 24" high... might be a bit big at first but I'll ask my breeder anyway
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Get a mini football. Pups seems to love chasing
things that are too big to carry
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Tuti, just checked and that is the same size as Olives cage (30 by 21 by 24), and she has plenty of room to move about, lie down etc, plus she also has a massive thick mattress on the bottom to lie on. Olive is 18 inches at the withers so quite a bit bigger than a WHFT, so may be the smaller cage will be OK.

I second the mini football idea, great fun, although just make sure that the pup doesn't chew right through to the bladder inside. Olive torn off all the leather on her football and terrified herself when she tried to jump on the bladder
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2005, 08:43 PM
max adores all the cuddly toys in opets at home that make real animal noises! he never destroys them cos he loves them and when he was a baby he loved snuggling up to cuddly toys
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

03-03-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by olive
As for toys etc, I have one word for you......KONG!!!!!
Lol Olive! jus what I was gonna say!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Soft toys are OK until they start getting the stuffing pulled out and spread all over!

We err'd on the side of getting LOTS of toys for Jake. I believe that's why we haven't had too many shoes etc. destroyed!

The only thing that did cause problems was a soft puppy nylabone. Jake chewed it to bits in no time and ingested some. Fortunately, his digestive system had the sense to regurgitate the bits that wouldn't go through...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >