Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 06:47 AM

Differences between dogs and bitches...

..apart from the obvious that is!

I have never owned a bitch but have obviously heard lots over the years about the differences in temperament between them and dogs, also specific health problems etc...

I just wondered what everyone on Dogsey felt the main differences between owning the two are...is there more you need to watch out for with one than the other etc?
Thanks guys!
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 06:52 AM
Not many diffences really Diggory is more affectionate towards me than the girls. i know they love me and want cuddles but Diggory seems to NEED me. he will get upset if one of the girls is cuddling and he can't get in on it. also he will play more then they will. he has a much milder nature they are a little bit moody at certain times of the year (with each other not us).
when i worked with the hounds i can honestly say we had more fighting within the girls block than we ever had in the multi housed males block. all the boys were in groups of 4 and the girls housed the same but the girls always caused the problems.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Growing up I'd always had boys and my OH had always had girls & we both swore that our own preference was the best.

Now that we have one of each, both our attitudes have changed & I don't think either of us would mind what sex any future dog would be...it will just depend on what dogs are in rescue at the time we are looking.

It's funny - I could write the same first paragraph as CockerMum but replacing Diggory's name with Hoki...which I think goes to show that it is largely down to the individual dog or bitch.

Hoki's character is definitely stronger thank Kip's- she makes me laugh more with her antics and wants far more cuddles, but it's not really fair to compare them because I'm sure Kip had a much tougher earlier life and he is very shy.

Unless you want a specific sex for breeding, or you have to balance sexs in an existing dog household, I would say go for character/nature irrespective of whether a boy or girl.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Boys are considerably more affectionate than girls. I have found that in Dogs, Cats and Rabbits!
Becky
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 08:05 AM
I also think that the boys tend to be more affectionate than girls and in my own experience, I have found them to be more silly

However as long as they are neutered, in my honest opinion there's not really that much difference in owning either sex. Obviously if entire there are the seasons to consider, and the possibilities of phantoms / pyo etc, but then with entire males there is the problem of when bitches in the area are in season, fighting (not with all dogs admittedly), testicular cancer and risk of prostate problems.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Oh my now this is a hard one! Mmmmmmmmm I'd probably agree with Hali's post I think it is individual, however on personal experience, and as you know we've always had loads of dogs Andrew would always go for a male, he thinks they have more character and to a degree he may well be right. All our bitches have been loyal, loving very easy to train but the boys have always had that extra bit of cheeky behaviour that some people may find more difficult, but we have loved that part of their individual personality if you know what I mean. Health wise no a great deal of difference of course haemaphilia springs to mind with males but then again sometimes you may get a degree of spay incontinence with girls and of course of not spayed then you have their heat cycle to contend with and so on. Dogs of course you have the marking and so on. Sorry Ailsa probably no help whatsoever!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Between the Boxers that I know the difference can be quite striking!

The girls aren't interesting in any sort of toy or ball at all, whereas the boys love 'em!

If one of the girls gets the toy, she only wants it to annoy the boys. Once the boys lose interest in it, she'll drop it.

The boys are much more loving all the time. Max and Norman and Murphy actively seek "cuddles" out. Lottie and Millie will have a cursory cuddle but would much rather do their own thing.

The girls also seem much more independent. The boys will stick to you like shadows, even if there's no food involved; whereas the girls will come and go and do their own thing.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 08:42 AM
In my experience like others have said the boys tend to be more affectionate and more 'my' dog - the bitches far more aloof.

The boys will do anything to please me and love cuddling up.

I don't have issues regarding constant marking and they do not pee in the house scent marking - although have heard if you have bitches with entire males this can be an issue!

I always had bitches before but since we got Max just love the boys and can't get enough of them!! Although I don't know if its different for different breeds of course!

I think it can come down to personal preferences - you will find that some people can't be doing with the males at all and just love females!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 08:47 AM
all of my girls love to play with toys,i find the girls more independant,but zoeybeau from little puts her head on your shoulder ,and doesnt believe shes grown up for she still climbs up you to do it,the boys are in fact more mystivious(spelling)but not as affectionate,imo i think alot is to do with they way they are reared.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Hmmmmm..interesting!
I had heard that bitches were easier to train and more placid? For that I admit I read 'bit boring!!!!' (Sorry not meaning any offence it's just we've always had males....)
I guess it depends on the personality of the individual dog/bitch though?
Interesting about the toys Isochick.....

I've been around a few bitch puppies and they seem pretty similar to the males...maybe just not quite as 'pushy' would people agree with that?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >