Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

30-07-2007, 10:40 PM

Loki took another fit just now:(

Loki went to her favourite place when she feels the heat - to lie on the bathroom floor because the tiles are cool for her.

I was on the picture thread and then I heard a noise. Went to see and the wee soul was in a fit. I got her diazepam rectal - got that from the vet in March when she had 16 fits.

She has drunk a full large bowl of water and I cut her up a breast of chicken and put water over it and put it in the microwave to heat up for a few seconds. She scoffed the lot.

Her last fits were mild ones at the beginning of June. This one lasted about 4 mins.

I do hope she will be able to get out of the bathroom and get into her bed, which is at the side of my bed. I don't fancy sitting up all night with her in the loo!
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Hope Loki's ok now. So sorry to see that she had another fit
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Loki's had another fit, it must be so scary for you and I hope that she makes a full recovery, bless her little heart.

Please give her a big hug and kisses from me to make her feel a bit better.

I'll be thinking of you in the night and hoping that you both get a good nights rest.

Sheree xx
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2007, 11:27 PM
So sorry to hear this about poor Loki. I had a golden retriever who had fits, it is really scary to watch them and know that you can't help them. I hope she is recovering now and has a good night.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

30-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Thank you all very much. She came out of the bathroom on her own and has gone into her bed at the side of mine. I gave her more water just now and she drunk the lot. I do hope she sleeps.

Again, many thanks - your response are appreciated.

Rose.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Rose - have posted this on the Ute forum:

Aw Rose - I feel for you! xxx

Corrie is right - there is nothing you can do other than just be there for her, make sure she is safe from harm and provide food and water should she need it.

Poor loves, the pair of you.

You say her last fits were the beginning of June so that's almost two months. Is the fit-free period increasing? If so that's good - if your Loki is similar to my Loki they will never go completely. It seems our two are destined to always suffer from fits but the longer the time between them the better.

I know your Loki is on a different drug but with my Loki the time gradually increased between each episode until we reached 6 months!!! Unfortunately we had that 'blip' but now it's been about three months since the last lot and I can live with that.

But it did take months and months to get to that stage. However that was on potassium bromide, which takes longer to do its stuff. I would have expected the PB to work more quickly so perhaps you should speak to the vet and re-evaluate the meds.

I'm loathe to influence your choice because I would hate to see your girl's condition worsen as a result of anything I've said, but do you think it would be worth increasing the bromide and reducing the PB? Have you looked at the Guardian Angels website? Many dogs that have refractory epilepsy - which is essentially uncontrolled epilepsy - respond to the bromide. In fact, historically, bromide has been added where PB alone is ineffective.

Anyway you've given the valium tonight. Hopefully that may help. I think you give a lower dose than we do? Remember to keep up her blood sugar levels - porridge is good for this and ice-cream helps too.

Rose - she will be fine. Honestly. But it'll probably be a rough few days for you both. When Loki started his fits they came every 10-14 days and I would have been so happy for them to occur once a month, they were so frequent. You've seen how well your girl has recovered in the past. Don't despair.
Hugs!
xxxxxxxxx
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2007, 12:06 AM
I hope she is settled now, and that you are doing ok, I know how awful it feels knowing you can only wait for them to come round afterward At least once the initial shock of the first ever fit has subsided and you get sorted with treatments you go in to a sort of `practical overdrive`, and while its no less upsetting when more fits happen you know you can cope when you have to for her :smt001

Heres a gentle ))))))))))hug(((((((((( for Loki,

and one for you hun ))))))))))hug((((((((((
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

31-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Many thanks LS. You always make me feel a bit better! I am going to phone the vet tomorrow - no, today it is now! I will ask him if he could increase the potassium rather than the PB. She is on 3 pheno's per day, one in the morning along with one potassium and 2 phenos at night.

I didn't have any ice cream but she ate the chicken breast! I must get porridge - I never keep porridge as I don't like it I do have plenty of cornflakes and that sort of thing - shreddies!

It was nearly 2 months since the last ones and they weren't as bad. This one lasted about 4 mins I think. Hard to know really as it feels like for ever!

I hope that my Loki's fits will start getting longer between them. I must go to the GA site again.

Again, LS, many thanks for your welcome response. I do appreciate it.

Take care.

Rose.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

31-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Aw many thanks Patch. I appreciate your hugs and so does Loki. I just always get a shock when she takes one - the first ones were a shock and they still are! I panick each time!

Again, many thanks. She has moved back to the bedroom to her bed to sleep. I hope she does!

Take care.

Rose
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Hugs to you both Rose xxxx
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »