View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 11:09 AM

Another stafford thread (do they have a place in society given fighting background?)

I was going to post a relpy to that old 'stafford support' thread, but it will fit in here nicely.
I have been doing some research into 'fighting dogs' and frankly it digusts me. I am going to cause a bit of a stir because of what i will say...
Now i am currently fostering a little stafford gurl who was tied up to a tree in someones back garden (still trying to gt the oil out of her coat, as she was trying to take shelter under an old car). Before i met little Poppy (i called her this, her name used to be Thunder) i had the same idea about these dogs, and so some extent i still do. These dogs have been bred or fighting as we all know, and i didnt understand why people would want them as pets. Turns out they make good companions (Poppy is always looking for attention), but we cant escape from what they are capable of. Lots of other breeds (and x breeds!) are just as capable of giving the love that these 'fighting' breeds give us. So why not get rid of these breeds and stop the fighting? I dont understand what thrill people get when they own these types of dogs. Can anyway enlighten me?
Firstly they are all unnatural, i totally disagree with breeding weird shapes of dog... just look what they did to the poor basset hound, a huge dog supposed to carry all that weight on little legs! Poppy has a shortened snout, which makes her snort and make noises like a little piggy. I personally dont like it, but i can see that this appeals to some. But why the fighting? If we are serious about promoting these breeds good side (ie they are great with people, good guard dogs etc) why dont we make it law that they NEED to be licensed and registered, so that only sincere people get to keep them. Why are some of these dogs illegal in this country (like the fila and dogo) when its the same idea, they can be good dogs with the right owners....
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 11:13 AM

I hope this is a pisstake
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Lel, i am absolutly rotten serious. Take a look at some of the devasting (i was close to tears) pictures of dog fighting on the net. These utter morons, train the dogs to do what is so unnatural, the dogs turn Mental. Then when they finally get caught, the dogs still love people, but have to pay for what they have been TRAINED to do (against their will) with their lives. They cant be trusted on the streets. The people get community service, and the dogs have to die. How is this fair. They are the victims of people, yet they have to pay the ultimate price. I just couldnt imagine any dog having to go through that experience..... i would rather see the breed die out, so it CANT happen.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Well I would rather see the morons die out than the breed

so do we just give up on educating people and trying to get through the messages about the wrongs of fighting and the rights of responsible ownership and kill the breed then because we cant be bothered to address the problem

I cant believe that anyone with even an iota of intelligence would make such a remark!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Fighting is a horrible sport Jess its a sad fact of life that it still goes on there is no need for it in todays society and there are many other ways of testing a dogs gameness other than fighting.

Whether we like it or not though fighting plays a huge part in the breeds history and that is something that cannot be ignored, without the "sport" all these years ago we would not have the breed that is today. Of course there are some that continue this practice today but I would hope that they are in the minority. As I do not fight my dogs I cannot explain what people get out of it so I cant answer that question.

Regarding the looks of the dogs, each to their own Jess people will choose a breed because it suits them and they like the look of the dog. The Stafford was originally bred as a fighting dog, it was an equal blend of Bull & Terrier built for strength, stamina and speed therefore the look of the dog reflects this. A strong head and jaws for obvious reasons, a strong & muscly physique etc.

I do think that some breeders today are shortening the nose far too much and I dont like that I like a good length of muzzle on a Stafford and not a huge head that is why I choose Cassy no Stafford should ever suffer from breathing problems they should be able to run and walk for miles without breaking into a pant - they should be canine athletes first and foremost.

Lel that is what I thought too but I am trying to give an informed answer lol.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 11:30 AM
i agree it was a strong remark to make, but when you see the suffering of just one dog (again its not their fault) its too much for me. Its horrible, and it goes on right under our noses, 'underground' and the authorities dont give a damn. If they did, their wuld be heavy heavy penalties to pay...which there are not..... this one report said this breeder of 'red eye kennels' (he breeds good fighters) wouldnt be allowed to own a dog until his probation was up... yet 55!!! of his dogs were put to sleep.... its absurd. But we dont see it, so we can put it aside and not think about it. There is so much wrong in the world, that we end up with compassion fatigue.

My idea was to keep every dog under the 'fighting' or 'dangerous' catergory licensed, so that morons arent allowed to own these types of dogs. Do you guys have a problem with that? Surely if it meant that other dogs werent suffering, you would agree to it? Would it put you off the breed if they were heavily guarded, and cost more to keep registered?
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Isnt this discussion hi jacking Lauras thread?

I think EVERY breed should be licenced and regulated to keep the morons and greedy bastard breeders under the control

but theres a difference with regulation and licencing than to killing off the breed as you mentioned earlier
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Laura... why did you say there are other ways of testing a dogs 'gamesness'....

WHY OH WHY do we need to know a dogs ableness to fight? i dont gettit.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 11:33 AM
I am disgusted Jess to say you would rather the breed died out than to have them fighting.

Well if they did not have Staffords to fight they would use something else believe me. Just because they dont have one dog does not mean it will stop it from happening.

Like I said before you cannot change people that dont want to be changed. These people will continue to fight their dogs regardless of what is said, they face prison just by doing so so some harsh words from the likes of us will make no difference.

Best of concentrating on promoting the breed in a good light and showing that we are not all MORONS and that the majority are good dogs and good owners.

Just because some people dont like fox hunting should we start to ban the hounds too?
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 11:34 AM
PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »