Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 05:07 PM

Mate's bitch has just had pups

He didn't even realise she was preggas HOW does that happen?!

He got this little girl from a rescue where he was informed she'd been spayed

Now he has five little crossbreeds that he doesn't know what to do with.

Surely that isn't right?!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Oh bless. I'd get him to contact the rescue and speak to them, they may well take the pups when they are old enough for rehoming, although you have to question them if they did not realise a bitch they had was pregnant (unless she was only recently so of course).
Make sure he gives her plenty of food, if she is fed dry then leave a bowl down and of course clean fresh water available all the time. When they are a bit stronger a quick trip to the vets to get them checked out in the next couple of days and make sure the mum is OK.
Becky
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks Becky...

I seriously doubt this guy is going to take advice from me...

I say a 'mate' but he refuses to accept that he knows nothing about dogs!

He's had this bitch for 2 years but was told that if she'd been spayed, she could be having seasons due to tissue left inside rather than actually being unspayed.

Somehow he's not noticed she got pregnant despite having seen her tie

Thing is, I suppose he just thought he'd trust those who knew better...

I'd like to offer to help in raising them but doubt he'd let me - they won't be fed any special food, or weaned properly, he has no money and - to be fair, wasn't prepared for this litter at all.
Papillon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2007, 05:21 PM
If hes not going to care for the litter properly, surely its breaking the new laws?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Oh I thought he'd only just got the bitch, well he only has himself to blame, if he's had the bitch for two years she must have had at least 3 seasons which would have been obvious.
Sadly it's the bitch and pups that are going to suffer so maybe a word with the RSPCA?
Becky
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Another friend just suggested that to me, I will try and gather as much info as possible and pop round with it tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, together they will 'care' but they may not go to any great lengths to ensure the pups get the right nutrition etc.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I will give him as much info as I can and tell them about the new law.

I will offer my help to raise the litter and give them a break (they also have a two year old daughter) and will try and get some help with donations to help them raise them correctly (they have no money).

If all that fails, the only thing I can do is call the RSPCA but it will be plainly obvious who did it...
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:05 PM
What rescue did he adopt her from?
If it's a reputable rescue they'll be devastated. It can happen where a bitch comes into rescue supposedly spayed and the rescue are none the wiser, he really must contact them.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
He's had this bitch for 2 years but was told that if she'd been spayed, she could be having seasons due to tissue left inside rather than actually being unspayed.
I'm confused, did the rescue know she was having seasons?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:27 PM
I don't know which rescue, and I'm not sure how they could've not realised unless she wasn't in long enough.

When he got her, they said she'd been spayed (in fact, I think he said they'd gone to do it and realised she'd already been done it).

When she started bleeding as if having a season, I think he asked a vet or one of his 'contacts' ( ) who told him some tissue could've been left which would cause the bleeding but that she couldn't get pregnant.

When she tied to a (recently castrated) male, I think he just passed it off as a freak of nature that the male was interested in a spayed bitch.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >