Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
froggie
New Member!
Female 

20-02-2005, 07:23 PM

should I let my bitch have a season?

Is it wiser to let your bitch have a first season before having her neutered?I have 2 intact males in my house and am worried about them bothering my bitch.She is only 5 mths old but Im thinking ahead.My friends dog was done but the boys STILL try to jump on her when she visits.....the pup is safe from them as yet as she is too young but will they do this to her as she matures?Maybe I ought to do the boys first..but Im on a budget and cant afford to do it all at once.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2005, 07:25 PM
i am no expert but have always been told its better for the bitch to have a season but some vets round where i live will spey before a first season
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2005, 07:28 PM
I've also heard that you should wait until they have their first season too
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2005, 07:30 PM
We got Star spayed at 1 year old and it was before a season.
mirknzoe
Dogsey Junior

20-02-2005, 07:30 PM
I've just had my puppy done at 6mth and she is fine; I had my last bitch done before her 1st season too and she was nearly 16 when she died last June with no problems. My vet is of the opinion that if you let them have a season then the genes that cause mammary tumours have been activated and are in the system.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2005, 07:59 PM
I had 2 done before their season, and one after, and there is no difference between them.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Both my vet and I prefer to wait until after the first season.
Beth L
New Member!

21-02-2005, 05:15 AM
I have read that it is best to do it BEFORE the 1st heat.
you will almost 100% eliminate the chance of her developing mammary cancer later in life

this is what I have read.
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 09:11 AM
I was just talking to my vet the other day as I am thinking about getting my Ruby spayed, she's 5 and she's had 2 litters.
My vet said anyone in the medical practise will tell you to get it done before the first season as it makes the risks much lower for mammary cancer. But anytime is better than not at all.
When I asked she assured me it doesn't alter the developement of a pup to get them done before a season, I've heard a lot say likewise though.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi Kali If you go to Heath section you will see lots of discussion on this subject . At one time vets were reluctant to spay before the first season, they thought it advisable to let a bitch mature first particularly in large breeds, this is not the case now and they are willing to spay before the first season as this is thought to further decrease the chance of mammary tumors. If you do decide to have a season first it is best to spay three months after the start of the season for hormone reasons. Links below....

http://dogweb.co.uk/talk/dog7385.html

http://dogweb.co.uk/talk/dog7067.html
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >