Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 04:41 PM

Ouchhhhhhhhhh

I tried a ring on to see if it still fitted, well it went on fine but would not come off And almost immediately it started to swell

I did the usual washing up liquid butter oil etc but it would not shift can tell you I started to panic a bit .

so looked on Internet and found this advice thought I would try it before I went to hospital my finger by now was purple And it worked

My finger now is twice the size and I cant bend it but I think I will live and it is nice and shinny

Stuck Ring? Dental Floss to the Rescue!
A ring may be a symbol of wedded bliss, but it can pose real danger when it's stuck on a swelling finger. Because it can cut off blood circulation just as surely as a tourniquet, that band of gold has got to come off--the sooner, the better.

If your knuckle has swollen and is already too big to slip the ring over, try this trick using dental floss. (Better yet, use waxed dental tape.) Used by emergency medical technicians, the technique is recommended by John C. Johnson, M.D., past president of the American College of Emergency Physicans and director of Emergency Medical Services at Porter Memorial Hospital in Valparaiso, Indiana.

Take a long piece of floss (two to three feet is not too long). Starting at the tip of the finger, closely wrap the floss around the finger, spiraling down toward the ring. Keep the encirclements 1/8 inch apart or less. When you get to the ring, slip the end of the floss under the ring and pull it toward your palm. Lift that end of the floss over the top of the ring and pull up toward the tip of your finger. As the floss unwinds, it will ease the ring up and off the finger.

To make this even easier, grease the floss-wrapped finger with petroleum jelly before you remove the ring.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Note to self I think a Diet may be in Order
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 04:57 PM
ow that sounds painful....what if you dont floss?????
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 05:50 PM
A nurse practitioner on a casualty course taught me that one about 6yrs ago. He called it his Indian rope trick
If you haven't got floss cotton will work, but it's not as strong as dental floss.
It is also very difficult to do on yourself
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Wow Amie - great tip. Hope your finger recovers!