Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 10:58 PM

My Absolute Worst Nightmare Came True

I'm still shaking, I got in from work tonight at around 9.45 p.m. and as I was greeted by the dogs I knew instantly that there were some missing

They have access to their small garden whilst I'm away from the house and overnight and, even though the light was on it was too dark to see instantly what had happened out there. In a panic I started calling names and Fabian and Bradley rushed throught the fence, covered in some sort of muck and gunge. I did a quick count up and there were 3 missing, I was in such a blind panic I couldn't think who was missing.

I could see that someone had chewed threw the wire fence that I had erected only a few weeks ago, chewed all down it and they could get out into the haulage yard. As you know, I live on such a busy road I've been paranoid about their safety, all I could think was that it is pitch black out there, lorries and cars are still thundering past, I'm never going to get them back in one piece.

I grabbed three leads, shut the others indoors and ran around to the haulage yards, I worked out that it was Leonie and my two oldies Bailey and Tyler that were still missing, I couldn't believe that they would have disappeared. I was screaming their names at the top of my voice but it was just silent around there, all the security lights kept coming on but no sign of any dogs, suddenly I saw a movement and it was Leonie, she was crouching down absolutely terrified. I put her lead on her and spoke to her but she wouldn't move, I wanted to run around with her hoping she would take me to the others but she just dragged on the lead. I took her back indoors and grabbed my torch, as I walked back out I could see a dog in the main road running in my direction, I realised it was Tyler but he was so spooked I thought he would run into the path of the traffic, I ran towards him telling him he was a good boy and that it was mummy, he was scared stiff too and didn't want to come to me, I managed to grab his collar and put a lead on him. I couldn't believe I had been lucky enough to find them, only Bailey now, I just couldn't be so lucky as to get him back in one piece too. Just them I saw a man outside of his house in the distance, I ran towards him, hoping he would have some news, he called out, "have you lost a dog?", I said yes, there's one unaccounted for and he said "don't worry, we've got him".

Phew, they had got Bailey, he had only just rang my number to leave a message but I was out hunting for them so missed it. The were a really nice couple who said they realised as soon as they saw them that they weren't strays but Tyler wouldn't let them near him, Bailey went up to them as if they were long lost pals so they managed to get my number off his tag.

Apparently they had been out for about an hour so I cannot believe that none of them were killed, this is the third time that someone has escaped so I cannot hope that, if it happens again, I will be so lucky. I've never had any problems in the past, they have never tried to escape so I can't imagine what is causing this wanderlust. I wonder if its because birds are nesting in the trees behind the fencing, they try to get through to them and then are out in the yard before they know it.

I've got some heras panels that are over 6' tall, I've been using them in their big garden until I can afford to fence it properly, they've now ruined their chances of having it made bigger in the near future. I'm going to have to reduce the amount of space they've got to run in and use some of the panels to bring into the small garden, its the only way I can think they will be safe and sound whilst I'm at work. I could always shut them in but then I'd worry in case there was a fire or something.

I feel so guilty as I was so sure they were safe but I obviously didn't make it safe enough. I just thank God that they are still all alive, (I'm not a religious person but I think I may have just been swayed).

Thanks for reading, sorry it's so long but just needed to write it all down.

Sheree xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-05-2007, 11:02 PM
just thank god they were OK. Know how you feel because mine took off across a field last year right onto a main road full of rush hour traffic at 5pm when the hour had just gone back and it was pitch black. I was sure I would never see them alive, but got one, and found Maelona about 15 minutes later, she was scared and shaking but in one piece. So can just imagine how you felt with 3 running about in the dark and not knowing where they were. Big hugs from me to you all (((((()))))
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
just thank god they were OK. Know how you feel because mine took off across a field last year right onto a main road full of rush hour traffic at 5pm when the hour had just gone back and it was pitch black. I was sure I would never see them alive, but got one, and found Maelona about 15 minutes later, she was scared and shaking but in one piece. So can just imagine how you felt with 3 running about in the dark and not knowing where they were. Big hugs from me to you all (((((()))))
Thanks so much, I still feel so shaky and panicky, I keep looking to make sure they are all still here. It's bad enough when you lose them in a relatively safe place but on a main road, as you know too well You hear so many bad stories I just cannot believe that I've got them all back, with no injuries, I know that I won't be able to sleep tonight, jusy waiting for daybreak so I can get those panels moved. Thanks again x
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Oh Sheree what a nightmare. I am so glad you have them all back I must admit while reading your post I couldnt wait to get to the end just hoping it was going to be a happy ending. Perhaps they would be better being kept in the house until you can make sure your fence is dogproof. As they may not be so lucky next time. I hope they have calmed down after their big adventure. Glad everything turned out ok.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Oh Sheree what a nightmare. I am so glad you have them all back I must admit while reading your post I couldnt wait to get to the end just hoping it was going to be a happy ending. Perhaps they would be better being kept in the house until you can make sure your fence is dogproof. As they may not be so lucky next time. I hope they have calmed down after their big adventure. Glad everything turned out ok.
Thanks so much for replying, yes they will definately be kept in overnight and, as soon as possible in the morning, I shall get the heras panels moved. They are so heavy but I've moved them on my own before and it will be a case of having to, just so I can relax. Before we moved here the road was the only thing I was worried about, all the other places we've lived where it wouldn't have mattered and they've never attempted to escape, now there's no stopping the little wotsits. They are all fast asleep now, totally unaware of what they've done to me. Thanks again x
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 11:11 PM
gosh what a worry for you,so glad you found them all safe and sound.BIG ((((hugs)))) xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by patterlands View Post
gosh what a worry for you,so glad you found them all safe and sound.BIG ((((hugs)))) xx

Thank you so much xx
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 11:17 PM
God how awful, so glad everyone was found safe and well.

I've always thought the arrangement you had for your dogs when you were out was a very good one, so try not to be too hard on yourself.

It really is one of those worst nightmare moments, I remember when Pickles was younger and every attempt he had to escape he would, inspite of our best efforts.

Sometimes the worst just happens, but thankfully in your case, not today!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
God how awful, so glad everyone was found safe and well.

I've always thought the arrangement you had for your dogs when you were out was a very good one, so try not to be too hard on yourself.

It really is one of those worst nightmare moments, I remember when Pickles was younger and every attempt he had to escape he would, inspite of our best efforts.

Sometimes the worst just happens, but thankfully in your case, not today!

Thank you so much , I just cannot really believe it happened, they are so used to being left and, apart from Tawny climbing over the fence, they've never attempted to chew at it, there must have been something that triggered it off. Anyway, I've made my plans in my mind as to what I've got to do, just itching to get started so I can relax a bit again, I know I'm going to be worried when I go into work tomorrow night but it's a six hour stint and I can't leave them shut in all that time, I will have the heras panels in place by then, even if it's pouring with rain and gale force winds, I won't be stopped Thanks again xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-05-2007, 11:34 PM
please try and get some sleep now. Have you any valerian tea or anything like that that will calm you down a bit and relax you?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »