Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 04:10 PM

Is Using A Neighbours WiFi, Wrong?

I was listening to Jeramy Vine on BBC Radio 2 this lunchtime and one story they were discussing the arrests of two people who were illegally using a neighbours wireless internet connection.

They were parked outside peoples home on thier Laptops logged onto someone else's WiFi a 29 year old woman and a 20 year old man were arrested in Reddich under the computer misuse act. They have now been cautioned and have a criminal record.

Personally when I got my new laptop last week, it came straight up trying to log me on a unsecured neighbours connection and I canceled it straight away.

I could very easy log onto the 4 different unsecured WiFi connections where I live, but I wont because I think this is stealing.

Whats your view, should these people of been arrested?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 04:13 PM
I thought it was illegal? I, like you, have 'access' to other peoples internet but I want one that is secure that's why I have my own, anyone can tap into your computer if you used an unsecured access.
Becky
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2007, 04:14 PM
It may not be the right thing to do, but I fell they have no one to blame if they leave it unsecured. In my opinion you would not leave your valubles outside bacause if you do theres a chance they will be taken, so imo its the same with wi-fi...
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Yes, I think so.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Well the main problem with it, apart from using up a neighbours download limit is someone could access illegal websites and you could be blamed for it if it is your connection...

Thats what the cop on the show said...

I havnt got WiFi yet but would never leave my network unsecured when I do.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Well I work in I.T. and I am firmly of the belief if people do not secure their wireless connections, they're being very foolish. May be a harsh view but to me it's the same as putting your pin number on the back of your card.
It's amazing how many people do not password protect their access. Our engineers did a test one day and took our laptop out into the local area. You would not believe how many unsecured connections were out there.
I personally wouldn't piggy back onto someone else's connection, I believe it's wrong to do so but there are a lot of people that would.
I think it's the individual's responsibility to secure their access just as it is to lock their front door on a night.
I personally don't believe it should be an arrestable offence but hopefully what's happened in the news today will make people more aware.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Thing is you can wander into the local computer store, come out equipped with loads of networking gear and be clueless on how to use it. Or maybe it's just me, being computer illiterate . I'm not a stupid person, but I didn't even realise it should all be encrypted until I was told then struggled to get it to work after encryption .
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Although mine isn't connected up yet, it is password-protected simply because I don't want someone else using it for free! And there's this, from a site discussing the Computer Misuse Act:

"wireless networking technology (i.e. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) which can be used both to connect legally to a wireless network and, in the certain circumstances, illegally as well in order to steal personal information/data – so called 'Blue-snarfing' – or simply to use someone else's internet connection free of charge."

One of the reasons I don't do internet banking.

Snorri
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Wireless routers tend to tell you how to protect your network, the promlem is they tend not to tell you the importance of it.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Thing is you can wander into the local computer store, come out equipped with loads of networking gear and be clueless on how to use it. Or maybe it's just me, being computer illiterate . I'm not a stupid person, but I didn't even realise it should all be encrypted until I was told then struggled to get it to work after encryption .
Completely agree with you there. The high street shops should be advising people when they buy but unfortunately, most of them are only interested in the sale and after that they aren't bothered.
It's definitely not you. We didn't have wireless at home until last year, so even though I am I.T. literate, I had never set one up before. It was all new to me then too. I did make sure to speak to one of the lads at work and he came over and helped me out with it.
I realise not everyone has that luxury but if I hadn't had him, I would have definitely gone to our local PC shop and gotten their advice. The smaller shops tend to give better customer service.
Then there's always google. I would certainly do a search to find out about security issues before doing anything. Research is always a good thing, no matter what you're buying.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »