Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 10:20 AM

car hit this morning. Advice please.

My OH was driving my car this morning he is a named driver. A girl pulled out of a junction whilst he was stationary and hit the drivers side front wing. She wants to settle privately and not use insurance compnies and will pay for the damage, admits it was her fault.Would you take it to a local garage get a quote ,get her cash then have work done or contact insurance company straight away.Ihave not had to do this before.....any advice please.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 10:21 AM
do it all through the insurance company as they will guarentee repair work.

sue
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 10:23 AM
she may have an high excess as long as the accident is reported to the police you can do it without insurance and the repairs from a garage will be guarenteed just the same
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-03-2007, 10:25 AM
I'd report it to insurance company and to police.. You can still tell them she's offered to pay for damage, would just give you back up if she changes her mind or mucks you about
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 11:43 AM
By law it has to be reported to the police and I would let my insurance company know as well ....
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Baz slid into a woman's parked car in the ice a couple of years ago, and she kindly let us pay privately without going through the insurance. She had the repairs done at a dealership, so they were guaranteed. I paid the dealer direct. There were no problems at all, and I'm still grateful to the woman for letting us settle in this way
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 11:53 AM
If you contact your insurance company, all they are going to say is go and get two estimates done. Then the person who hit you will probably have a heart attack when they see the cost and want to go through the insurance!!! This is not a cheap job according to my o/h so DON'T take a cash handout, you may lose out by a LOT of money! That's his advice anyway.

He says whatever you do make sure your car is totally legal, i.e. tyres etc. otherwise the insurance assessor will drop it like a brick!

Hope that helps.

p.s. If it gets as far as insurance, make sure you get a loan car out of it too!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 11:57 AM
I would report it to the police and just ask for an incident number.. then give the woman the benefit of the doubt..let her pay and if she doesn't you have the incident report to back you up.

Originally Posted by Willow View Post
By law it has to be reported to the police and I would let my insurance company know as well ....
Does it??

A woman crached into our PARKED (outside our house!!)van and was beig iffy about insurance details and I rang the police and told them what had happened and told them she was not leaving until she had passed over details and I wanted them to come down and they said it ws nothing to do with them..
They never came down (but told me if I forced her to stay she had every right to call police on me!!)
ANyway we eventually got the details.. turned out she was insured through her dad.. she was about 45 so I can only get her dad was around 70!! we took them for everything as she was so obstinate about giving her details..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 01:17 PM
From my past experiences, the police ONLY want to know if someone has been hurt. They're never interested if it's just a hit, they won't want to know! If the insurance want an "incident number" then I suppose you'll have to, but they don't need to know.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Not sure about the parked car scenario,But perhanps you dont have to if there's no injury ?
You can definately be done for failure to report an accident, if someone is hurt though.

Found this after a quick Google

As soon as your car is involved in an accident you need to take the following steps to ensure you do not break the law.

If, as a driver, you are involved in a road-traffic accident and one or more of the following occurs:
- a person, other than yourself, is injured
-damage is caused to another vehicle or to someone else's property
- an animal has been killed or injured, except in your own vehicle or trailer (an 'animal' is defined as 'any horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog')

You must:
stop and remain at the scene for a reasonable period
give your vehicle registration number, your name and address, and that of the vehicle owner (if different), to anyone with reasonable grounds for asking for those details
If you do not exchange those details at the scene, you must report the accident at a police station or to a police constable as soon as you can, and in any case within 24 hours. Reporting the accident to the police by telephone is not sufficient and you cannot ask someone else to report for you.

You're obliged to do these things not only when you are directly involved in an accident, but also if your vehicle's 'presence' was a factor.

If you have any doubts, we advise you to complete the above steps as soon as the accident happens, regardless of who was at fault.

A failure to comply with these obligations can mean two offences are being committed: failing to stop and failing to report. It is possible to be guilty of either or both. The penalties for each offence include a maximum fine of £5,000 and five to ten penalty points. The court also has the power to disqualify you from driving for either offence and is likely to do so when both offences are committed on the same occasion. Failing to stop or report an accident can carry a maximum of six months' imprisonment.

Even if there was no personal injury involved, if someone holds you responsible for the accident, they have the right to request your insurance details. This request can be made later; it does not necessarily have to be at the time of the accident. A failure to provide that information without a reasonable excuse is also an offence.

It will also be a condition of your insurance policy that you report the accident to your insurance company within a reasonable time, even if you do not want to claim yourself. A failure to do so can give your insurance company the right to refuse to cover you in the future.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >